First time cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all im going to be cleaning my liner for the first time this weekend. I picked up a sooteater kit but I have never done this before. My set up a small avalon insert in my fireplace the flue goes back on a 45 then up. Its a 6" stainless flex liner whats the best way to tackle this.

I have a 30-degree adapter to a 6-inch liner. Similar set-up to you.

I bought the fine dust/drywall filter for my Shop Vac. Tape a small sheet of cleat plastic over the front of my insert with the door off and the vacuum hose in the insert. Keeps stuff out of the room. I think that's in the Sooteater instructions.

It's actually pretty simple. My hardest part was the roll pins for the secondary air tubes on my insert. The Lopi roll pins are very short. I bought some that are 3/4-inch long, and may buy some one inch for next year.

Last edited: