First Time Installing new pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

realniceguy5000

Oct 16, 2015
Hi, I have a couple questions on installation of a new pellet stove.
1. I currently have a coal/wood stove(CoalBrookDale_Darby) that is being replaced with a pellet stove. I have a brick chimney that the 6" stove pipe connects to. The new stove has a 3" connection for the pipe, I would like to know if I can just use an 6" to 3" adapter or do they make some piece that connects to the 6" hole in my brick chimney that reduces the hole to 3" that I can run the 3" pipes from the stove? I also seen 3" kits that run pipe all the way up the brick chimney or maybe someone has another idea.
2. Stove needs a vent pipe, 2.25 I think, anyway can I just pipe this to my craw space, my craw space is vented to the outside, Or do I need to run this pipe in the craw space all the way to the outside?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.
Mike

That piece connects the pellet vent to a metal chimney, I believe.
I think you have a masonry one?
If you have a conventional thimble leading into your masonry chimney, you don't need
anything quite that expensive. (imo)
I think you can use a 6" end cap, and put a hole in it the correct size for your
pellet vent.. I did it that way, and it seems ok..
This is around 5 bucks
063467850694lg.jpg

Reactions: bags
That piece connects the pellet vent to a metal chimney, I believe.
I think you have a masonry one?
If you have a conventional thimble leading into your masonry chimney, you don't need
anything quite that expensive. (imo)
I think you can use a 6" end cap, and put a hole in it the correct size for your
pellet vent.. I did it that way, and it seems ok..
This is around 5 bucks
063467850694lg.jpg
I suppose it's better than 65.00 lol But Like I said I don't have a thimble thing in my brick chimney. Thanks Mike

I suppose it's better than 65.00 lol But Like I said I don't have a thimble thing in my brick chimney. Thanks Mike
pretty strange.. I guess I just can't picture your setup.
I've never seen a masonry chimney without a thimble.
But then, there's plenty I haven't seen! ;)

Dan

So the larger end will fit right inside my brick part of my chimney? I don't seem to have a thimble thing, my stove pipe goes right inside the hole in the brick.
I also saw where they ran the fresh air vent pipe in the bottom part of the chimney.

This seems pretty Kool, thanks for the idea...
You are welcome, I just put the larger end in the chimney and seal it with furnace cement.

so your stove pipe goes all the way to the chimney... does it just slide out to replace it?

this is what I did with the end cap... it goes into the thimble, which goes into the chimney...thimble.JPG

so your stove pipe goes all the way to the chimney... does it just slide out to replace it?

this is what I did with the end cap... it goes into the thimble, which goes into the chimney...View attachment 163946

Yeah, my pipe just slides about 4 to 6 inches inside the chimney, I saw a video of a guy hooking the thimble thing up to an outside wall, I'm wondering if I could just use the same thing and screw it into the chimney?

Both idea's seem like they would work for my install.

Do you happen to know if I could just grab my (OAK) from my vented craw space?

Thanks for the help...Mike

No
Your vents must have a lot more in² of area than your stove air intake... why not?
Just keep the snow off them..

Dan
Not sure I understand what you mean about keeping snow of it. Are you saying I shouldn't just use the cold air in my crawl space and continue the run to the outside? sorry for the confusion... I may need larger pipe then? Also I saw where a guy put another hole in his chimney near the bottom and placed the cold air pipe in that. Note my brick chimney is located in the middle of my house, the clean out for my chimney is in the crawl space.

Also I was just at lowes and saw a 3inch pipe kit that has a wall thimble included, since I need most of these pipes anyway,
http://www.lowes.com/pd_74595-76845..._clickID=d39347cb-37ec-40a0-a40b-960577543271
I was curious if I can just attach this thimble thing to my brick chimney and all the 3" pipe would connect up and I could just get rid of the 8 inch pipe altogether, I just need to measure this thimble to make sure it covers the 8" hole in my chimney or at least that another idea I came up with, still pondering...:)
Thanks everyone for your idea's, Mike

You probably want to talk to your local building inspector and insurance company before making decisions. In my town, if your stove is installed per the install manual, you're good. If the install manual says you need a liner, you need a liner. If not, you can use use the 3"-6" adapter. Regarding the crawl space, we can't just draw air fro the crawl space, it has to be metal tube all the way to the outside.

Re: crawl space for OAK intake, crawl space SHOULD work fine if vented to outside. HOWEVER, I just happened to read in the install manual for a stove I was thinking of buying that you could not do this, and must run to outside. I suspect the stove company says this to protect them from some type of liability, but as someone noted you must generally conform to the install manual for building/fire code and insurance purposes. So... "Can you" and "should you" may be two different things.

55SHP22L.PNG

This is a pic from the manual of the stove I'm thinking about buying. As you can see the oak goes in the bottom of the chimney. This pic may be on the outside wall, mine is on the middle of the house with the clean out in the crawl space. If this was on the outside and it had a clean out on the outside it most likely would be closed, I'm just thinking how much air could this stove really need if it was using this install method. I'm sure I have a good amount of air in mine. Oh well I'm sure I will think of something.

Many thanks for everyone's input here, Mike

View attachment 164404

This is a pic from the manual of the stove I'm thinking about buying. As you can see the oak goes in the bottom of the chimney.
Mike

This is just my interpretation, only.
I think that OAK illustration shows it on the side of the chimney...
Not in it.
I'm sure someone will chime in if I am wrong.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.