First time lighting my stove...What to expect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firebox115

Sep 5, 2019
USA
I was given a PE insert which I installed with a new SS liner, insulated blockoff plate, new door gasket, new bricks. Just lit my first fire and it has some white smoke. The wood is seasoned. Anything I should expect on a first burn?

Bliss. White smoke is usually water.

My question to answer your question... Have you used a wood stove before? Do you have a way to monitor temperature? Do you have a moisture meter to check your wood? Do you have carbon monoxide detectors in your house?

But a first fire, if the paint was touched up a horrible smell. Expect no glowing parts except for the reburn tubes. You will hear creaks and pings as the unit heats up and cools down.... This place has a bunch of helpful info. Take some time and use the search function to help fill in some of the questions.

Reactions: firebox115
Smoke, heat . . . hopefully the smoke is coming out of the chimney and the heat is coming out of the woodstove instead of the other way around. If you do start getting smoke coming out of the woodstove it may be indicative of a reversed draft as this is rather common during the shoulder season when temps outside and inside are pretty close to each other.

If all is good . . . the draft is established, the fire is burning and the wood is seasoned, you should be able to bring the stove up to temp and start burning clean by engaging the cat (if it has one) or adjusting the air control (for secondary burning.) Then . . . the magic happens . . . little to no smoke coming from the chimney and the show in the firebox begins.

The birds will sing, the crickets will compose music...

That new engine smell, and not quite wood smoke in the house. No one mentions this, I think it’s the lubricant/oil that’s used in the machinery to make the liner. I had a real oh man I screwed this up moment when I lit my new to me stove with self installed liner.
I didn’t yet make a block off plate, stove warmed up, soon smoke slowly rolling out of fireplace! I almost evacuated, until I realized what was happening. Smells like new small engine. Make sure you have a newer fire extinguisher in the house too! Lots of factors but your house may need some additional humidity added to the air, that fun stuff you’ll figure out. Wood, if possible keep getting it, despite what your family, friends, neighbors and intervention topics may be!
Excuse me as I noticed someone had tree work and the quartered chunks of have been sitting for months, going to drop a note in there mailbox. Need wood for 2023!

Reactions: firefighterjake
Yes the new chimney pipe will give off a smell, a couple burns and it should start to go away.

This is my first wood stove. It is working great. I needed to be patient. I was expecting nice sustained heat after about 30 minutes. I ran it for a couple hours and then adjusted the air control down and it is holding 71 degrees in the house with no additional wood for a few hours now. Draft seems to be good. No more colored smoke now.

This is my first wood stove. It is working great. I needed to be patient. I was expecting nice sustained heat after about 30 minutes. I ran it for a couple hours and then adjusted the air control down and it is holding 71 degrees in the house with no additional wood for a few hours now. Draft seems to be good. No more colored smoke now.
My only other source of heat is electric forced air, which costs about $15/day to run in the winter...so i'm pretty excited to have this thing running now.

It will take you the better part of the winter to master the operation of your stove. Every stove is a little different and has it's own quirks. With the newer EPA versions like yours dry wood is paramount. Wet wood will give you the fits.