first time wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I m out picking up some wood. What kind of wood is this. I think it is a maple but not sure. And also is it ok to burn this type.

Thanks guys!

- Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20110530_102133.jpg
    IMG_20110530_102133.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 287
chris2879 said:
I m out picking up some wood. What kind of wood is this. I think it is a maple but not are. And also is it ok to burn. Thanks guys!

It's either ivory, snow, or white-out wood....it looks to be the same color and texture as my computer screen. ;)

Ed

PS Me thinks you forgot the image. :)

Intheswamp said:
chris2879 said:
I m out picking up some wood. What kind of wood is this. I think it is a maple but not are. And also is it ok to burn. Thanks guys!

It's either ivory, snow, or white-out wood....it looks to be the same color and texture as my computer screen. ;)

Ed

I tried to upload it from my phone, not realizing it was too large of a file size! I reposted!

Is silver maple ok to burn?

No, you'd better bring it over the state line to let us properly dispose of it. ;-)

The actual answer is yes. Nearly all wood is ok to burn as long as it has been seasoned properly to allow most of the moisture to leave the wood. Do some searches here in "The Wood Shed" for tips on seasoning. Silver maple doesn't burn quite as hot as sugar maple, but its still great firewood.

chris2879 said:
Intheswamp said:
chris2879 said:

Ed

I tried to upload it from my phone, not realizing it was too large of a file size! I reposted!

Looks like it made it ok that last time and looks like you've already gotten some good id's....from what I understand silver maple isn't the greatest wood btu-wise, but should be good in the shoulder season. I think it's dries fairly quickly, too.

If it's free it's really good firewood! :)

Ed

Has the look af Aspen or Soft Maple not sure from photo.

Is the leaf next to it from the tree?

If it is it's most definately a red maple!

That type of maple dries fast and makes good kindling as well..

Ray

It's what we call soft maple. We have lots of it and have burned it for many, many moons. There are several reasons I like it:

1. It is very easy to split.
2. It dries super fast.
3. It burns hot
4. It lights easy
5. Because of the above, it also makes excellent kindling wood.

Besides the kindling we burn the maple during the daytime hours even during the coldest part of winter. For night loads or if we are to be away from home where we load up the stove with the harder woods. I like to put one or sometimes 2 small or medium maple splits in the front on bottom and sometimes will even put one on top. This helps to get the rest of the wood burning quickly while the harder woods will keep the fire longer.

One other thing that is different with soft maple is that you can cut a tree down but leave it uncut and the wood will still dry quite fast, at least for the smaller trees, which we have lots of. Cut a tree down and leave it and it will be great to burn after a year with the wood very dry. Leave it two years and it starts to turn punky.

Status
Not open for further replies.