First time wood stove buyer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RandyLahey

Aug 8, 2017
Western NY
Hi,

I have a 1,000 sq ft single story house on a slab, no basement. Living room that the stove will be in was just completely remodeled and very well insulated along with adjacent the bathroom. Rest of home is fairly well insulated but not great.

The stove I was looking to buy was the Blaze King Ashford 20 but after all is said and done with accessories it is quite pricey for me - around $3,800 not counting pipe, hearth or installation/labor (the home remodel was from insurance money, not out of pocket money just in case you're wondering why I'm trying to conserve my funds - I had a house fire in the fireplace/chimney - still love to burn wood - a stove makes the most sense for me now).

I am looking now at a Kuma Aspen or Lopi Answer. From most articles I've read they seem like solid stoves that should suit me fine.

Anyone with experience or knowledge on either or just with Kuma or Lopi in general would be great!

I'm about 20 miles east of Rochester, NY close to Lake Ontario. Winters can be pretty harsh most years.

I have a Lopi and BK dealer in my town but but would have to order online a Kuma.

Thank you

You'll want a bit bigger stove than the Answer if the intent is to heat 24/7. I would look at 2 cu ft stoves. In Lopi go up to the Endeavor. Some other stoves to look at are the Pacific Energy Super 27 and the affordable Englander (TimberRidge) 50SSW01 or True North TN20. Don't pay as much attention to the marketing specs for cu. ftg. heated. You control the heat output by the size of the fuel load and how much air it gets.

Do either of the dealers carry Enerzone stoves? I would very closely compare them to Lopi in build quality, but come in cheaper. Kuma makes a nice stove too, it wouldn't bother me at all to order one of their products, assuming you have the ability to install yourself.

You'll want a bit bigger stove than the Answer if the intent is to heat 24/7. I would look at 2 cu ft stoves. In Lopi go up to the Endeavor. Some other stoves to look at are the Pacific Energy Super 27 and the affordable Englander (TimberRidge) 50SSW01 or True North TN20. Don't pay as much attention to the marketing specs for cu. ftg. heated. You control the heat output by the size of the fuel load and how much air it gets.

Thanks for this info, much appreciated. I will keep looking and research your recommendations as well.

Do either of the dealers carry Enerzone stoves? I would very closely compare them to Lopi in build quality, but come in cheaper. Kuma makes a nice stove too, it wouldn't bother me at all to order one of their products, assuming you have the ability to install yourself.

I don't think they care the Enerzones' but I will inquire. Thank you

I'm in the same area as you. Check out Heritage Fireplace in Macedon, I really like them as a dealer, they will not sell you anything you don't need.

While I like SBI stoves and the Enerzone is a good value, my preference if possible is for a deep firebox. I really prefer loading N/S most of the time. SBI's mid-sized stoves all have E/W fireboxes. You have to go up to the Solution 2.9 to get a deep firebox. Lopi's Endeavor and PE's Super27 series have deep fireboxes that allow N/S loading of standard 16" splits.

Last edited:
While I like SBI stoves and the Enerzone is a good value, my preference if possible is for a deep firebox. I really prefer loading N/S most of the time. SBI's mid-sized stoves all have E/W fireboxes. You have to go up to the Solution 2.9 to get a deep firebox. Lopi's Endeavor and PE's Super27 series have deep fireboxes that allow N/S loading of standard 16" splits.
That's true, good point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same area as you. Check out Heritage Fireplace in Macedon, I really like them as a dealer, they will not sell you anything you don't need.

Hi, yes I'm familiar with them. My propane heat stove is from them and they put a new blower in it this past season. Good people. I looked at there wood stoves... a nice selection but nothing seemed to catch my eye as of yet.

I have a Lopi Answer, and like others have said if you want to burn 24/7 get something bigger. I would have to load my stove every 4 hours to keep it going. It is a well built insert, but id only recommend it for someone wanting to burn only on weekends or nights. Also you can't load N/S in that stove unless you have 12" splits, so E/W is the only way to go and then you have to worry about logs rolling onto the glass.

I have the kuma sequoia probably to big for what you need, but kuma makes a pretty nice stove. A great heater plus customer service is very helpful. I also have a pacific energy summit insert that is also a great heater. I believe both companies make a great product, both are very different but great stoves.

In your value stove search, I'd add Enviro to your list. Think you'll find the Kodiak FS stoves pretty affordable, easy to use, good heaters. Of course, I could be biased a bit.....

Hey there. First time post. I've read some of the other threads, but please forgive my redundancy if I missed something. I have an older house, by Anchorage standards (1963). It's about 1200 square feet. I'm looking at the Lopi 1750i insert, and wondering whether the blower is necessary. I plan to burn on evenings and weekends. Burning mostly spruce and birch. I'll keep poking around the site, but once I'm up and running, I'm sure I'll be more active here. Cheers!

Running a blower will increase the heat output of the stove tremendously. So yeah, you'll want to run the blower.

have you taken a look at the Woodstock line up? From what I understand there made like tanks, made to order in Vermont and a good mom and pop shop with excellent technology (won the woodstove contest in DC 2 years ago) and the prices of there units are great for what you buying.

The Ashford price seems a bit steep, maybe get some more quotes and skip the accessories. Get it without accessories, and add the fans later if you think you need them. Since you are close to Southern Ontario Canada, you might get one across the border for less and take advantage of the exchange rate. If you PM me, I'd be happy to share what I was quoted for a Ashford 20 here in Ontario Canada.

Also, the BK Sirocco 20 is much more comparable to the other options your looking at. It can be quite a bit cheaper, no castings, legs instead of pedestal saves $$, ash drawer is an option, you can get the plane black paint or fancier trim if you desire.

I think you can justify the 20 size firebox on the BK, but would want a bigger one if you go non-cat unless you really like tending the fire every couple hours. You're doing well to get 2/3s the rated burn time on most stoves.

The Lopi Rockport is more similar to the Ashford than the other Lopi options. (Catalytic, cast iron over steel).
I respect Kuma for listing the efficiencies using HHV even if the numbers are as impressive as the LHV numbers you usually see.

I second looking at the Woodstock lineup. You can get one close to $2K with a solid hybrid/catalytic design. If I had the space and budget for multiple woodstoves, a Woodstock would be my next choice after my Ashford. Biggest downside seems to be that you aren't likely to get one from a dealer (I think you buy them direct, so it might be harder to arrange an install this time of the year. Perhaps Woodstock can recommend someone in your area to do an install if you go with them).
http://woodstove.com/index.php/sale

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a 1,000 sq ft single story house on a slab, no basement. Living room that the stove will be in was just completely remodeled and very well insulated along with adjacent the bathroom. Rest of home is fairly well insulated but not great.

The stove I was looking to buy was the Blaze King Ashford 20 but after all is said and done with accessories it is quite pricey for me - around $3,800 not counting pipe, hearth or installation/labor (the home remodel was from insurance money, not out of pocket money just in case you're wondering why I'm trying to conserve my funds - I had a house fire in the fireplace/chimney - still love to burn wood - a stove makes the most sense for me now).

I am looking now at a Kuma Aspen or Lopi Answer. From most articles I've read they seem like solid stoves that should suit me fine.

Anyone with experience or knowledge on either or just with Kuma or Lopi in general would be great!

I'm about 20 miles east of Rochester, NY close to Lake Ontario. Winters can be pretty harsh most years.

I have a Lopi and BK dealer in my town but but would have to order online a Kuma.

Thank you
I'm a huge fan of cat stoves. So I would say if you can swing it go for the BK. Nice screen name by the way.