First Winter In Years Without A Power Failure And Then...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
10 inches of rain this month including tonight and a tree falls on the line down at the end of the driveway and knocks us out tonight. Only house in the county. Kinda glad I spent the money last Fall on the UPSs, low power laptops and router and emergency lights. Saves firing the generators. So far.

No need to fire the stove. 66 outside and 75 inside.

Just 1325VA Cyberpower units and Harbor Freight emergency lights on the two floors and in the basement. Since we moved to using laptops instead of desktop machines the UPSs and lights keep the network, computers, wife's sat TV and DVR up and the place lit up for a couple of hours when the power goes out. Saves going out in downpours to fire a generator.

Nothing elaborate.

We usually walk around with headlamps with me procrastinating about dragging out the genny and cables. That usually lasts at least a couple of hours and if things are just right, I can go to bed and maybe in the morning, everything will be all right. Not that I'm lazy or anything.

I just went to the HF web site and couldn't find anything called emergency lights, except if you're talking hand cranked units. Not that you're lazy or anything. :)

On a parenthetical note, since we're both fans I believe, the little 2 stroke HF genny is on sale for 99,99. They're red now. Now that's change.

We've had a couple failures in the past few months, both during calm weather. Fortunately they have been during daylight hours and only lasted an hour or two. I like the emergency lighting, thanks for the tip.

We usually walk around with headlamps with me procrastinating about dragging out the genny and cables. That usually lasts at least a couple of hours and if things are just right, I can go to bed and maybe in the morning, everything will be all right. Not that I'm lazy or anything.

Ha - my routine exactly. The last thing I run for when the power goes out is the genny. First it's a couple flashlights, then an auto boost box with built in light & radio (that I try to keep charged up). Check on the fire if there's one going. Coleman lantern if the boost box gets to fading or I hadn't charged it for a while. I usually don't start dragging the genny out until the second day, or later in a long first day if the outage line says it's still going to be a while.

After getting the temp lights lit the next thing I do is call the power company to get an estimate on the length of the outage. If it's 1-6 hrs, no genny and no opening the fridge or freezer. Any longer estimates mean hooking up the generator. I've simplified the process to make the hookup pretty quick now.

Reactions: woodgeek
With the permanent cord runs from the genny shack into the house now I fire it pretty soon. Not opening the fridge isn't an option. That's where the beer is.

Reactions: Jags and Ashful
LOL, that's why I drink red wine.

After getting the temp lights lit the next thing I do is call the power company to get an estimate on the length of the outage. If it's 1-6 hrs, no genny and no opening the fridge or freezer. Any longer estimates mean hooking up the generator. I've simplified the process to make the hookup pretty quick now.
It good to call the utility to let them know your power is out-you might the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.