First wood gathering effort for the season (locust)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Man, I was off work early today and thought it was cool enough to buck and split two dead but standing locust trees. By the time I was done I realized it was still summer and I was soaking wet with sweat. Felt good to run the saw and swing the maul though. My chainsaw ran like a beast after the chain and engine maintenance education I got here last year!

I do not know how long they have been dead although long enough for a lot of large winged black ants to move in to certain sections. They came pouring out a few logs like a spilt drink. The wood seemed dry, split pretty easy (for locust)and the bark peeled off easily. It has that heavy "tink" sound a hard wood makes when you knock two logs together so I'm wondering if it is dry enough for this year? I have a decent pile of cherry, oak and poplar seasoned since winter so I'm OK. This locust will get stacked as reserves and probably burn it next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.