fischer-tropsch fuel from wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
This may or may not belong in the boiler room vs the "green room" but I have found that the collective horsepower of chemistry, physics, and practical experience here in the boiler room equals or exceeds any other dialogue group I've encountered-

so--

anyone know about whether anyone has fooled with trying to meld wood gasification with Fischer-Tropsch to take biomass to get liquid fuels for internal combustion reciprocating engines-especially if there's any promise of success?

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer-Tropsch_process

for a bit of background.

thanks

Not that I'm aware of. As far as I remember, the process is not very efficient with currently known techniques (need a better catalyst - some interesting rumours about that). Given the inefficiency, I'd expect that there's a lot more interest in using more energy dense feedstock.

However, I assume it could work.

thanks for the replies-- I get a grin out of the concept that my chainsaw and splitter and the vehicles used to drag the wood out of the woods could someday themselves be run on locally-sourced renewable liquid fuels (and not bogus ethanol) without the clutziness of wood-gas-fired engines (which obviosuly is out of the question on a chainsaw :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.