Fisher Fireplace Insert Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cfurlan

Jan 10, 2017
Indiana
I just acquired a Fisher fireplace insert and am wondering if they can easily be converted to a freestanding stove. I do have a welder and a plasma cutter so the legs would be no problem to install but just wondering if there have been any others that have done this. Will post some pictures of it today. Thanks!

Last edited:
As far as refinishing, I do have the doors left to do. So far I think it is coming out pretty good. Someone at one time had water pipes hooked to it for a radiator. I will not be using that but thought about adding a blower to the back of the stove and putting some outlets in the front.

I just acquired a Fisher fireplace insert and am wondering if they can easily be converted to a freestanding stove.

Not legally. They are a UL listed appliance which would loose the UL listing when not installed as per manufactures installation instructions. Notice the manual gives detailed specification of hearth to install into.

Since the Insert has been modified, it has lost the UL rating. The opening that has been welded shut across the top was for the exhaust from the blower that pushed air UNDER the ash fender, under firebox, up the back and around the outlet vent pipe where the most heat is extracted. It was designed as a convection heater. There are much easier Inserts to recondition that haven't been ruined. I assume the lower air intake has been sealed shut as well to make the convective air circulation a hydronic boiler? If done properly, it would have a drain and clean out plugs around the base as well as a relief valve boss on top. You're missing the integral flue damper and it doesn't require a door gasket.

yeah someone butchered it up pretty good.

Yeah, it's the "bomb".
Literally. !!!

Reactions: bholler
Well I plan on installing it in an unattached garage. I do have flue damper for it just not in the picture. Also the door gasket has been removed. I was just more curious if it would put out adequate heat the way it is or if I should cut out the vents like it was originally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, open it back up.
If connecting with stove pipe, use a pipe damper in pipe instead of damper for hearth.

I just acquired a Fisher fireplace insert and am wondering if they can easily be converted to a freestanding stove. I do have a welder and a plasma cutter so the legs would be no problem to install but just wondering if there have been any others that have done this. Will post some pictures of it today. Thanks!

Just another point. Besides loosing the ul listing if this is used the top and sides will not cool as designed. because it is welded up where the air circulates the top will cool faster in the exposed area than the enclosed area, this can cause the top and or sides to crack.