Fisher Grandpa Bear exit pipe size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FisherZip

Mar 11, 2009
Finger Lakes NY
hi all, I have a Fisher Grandpa Bear that came with the house we have been in for 3 years. Works well enough, but is prone to creosote buildup in the horizontal run of exit pipe, even moreso than in the chimney itself. Not sure why this is, probably more a function of poor flow/design in the pipe/chimney than the stove. Anyway, I want to replace the elbow between the vertical pipe coming up out of the stovetop and the horizontal pipe heading out to the flue with a T and a cap so I can clean out that horizontal more easily and regularly. The problem is, I can't find a new piece of pipe that fits the lip exiting the stove! Everything else is 8", but an 8" female pipe won't fit over that lip. I wonder if the pipe it is replacing was specifically flared to fit that lip? And so now I have to have my new pipe custom flared? What a pain, you would think that would be a standard fitting. Anyone else notice this or find a way to deal with it? thanks

It is meant for an 8in pipe to slip over it, it just is tight! I had luck doing it by "encouraging" the edge of the pipe to flare out a pit with a pair of pliers. Next, it just took a lot of jiggling.

If you do get the pipe to slip over it as it should, it doesn't hurt to put a few screws in the pipe through the crimp. Being on the outside, if the pipe were to open up, that would spell serious trouble.

pen

You don't want the female end of your stovepipe to fit outside the flue collar: this will cause all your pipe fittings to be crimped-end-up, and you'll likely have liquid creosote leakage problems.

Your Grandpa Bear needs a stovetop drip free adapter, as did many stoves of that vintage. The adapter is about 4" tall and double-wall on the bottom, with a crimped 7-1/2" inner pipe that fits inside the flue collar, wrapped inside an 8-1/4: outer pipe that fits around the outside of the flue collar. The top edge is single-wall, and sized to accomodate the crimped end of the length above (again, note that your pipe will need to be installed with the crimped end of each piece pointing downward toward the flue collar).

You can view a crummy picture of a stovetop drip free adapter online at http://www.imperialgroup.ca/pdf/Black_StovePipe_CAN_EN.pdf (scroll down to part #BM0315)

Status
Not open for further replies.