1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fisher Grandpa Bear or Garrison I?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by rparker, Oct 25, 2012.

1. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    Both appear to be in decent shape. Both around $500. Any thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    or a new Englander 30-NCH for $899.00?
  3. Snotrocket

Snotrocket Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Maine
    The Englander.
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Just to double check, this is the double door very large fisher?

What kind of chimney are you working with? What kind of clearance to combustibles do you have to be concerned with? Is your wood really seasoned? (1 year split and stacked with good ventilation for many woods, 2 years for some like oak) What are your heating ambitions (full time, part time, etc)? What kind of floor layout do you have for the home/ square footage?

All these factors play into the equation.

pen
  5. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    The fisher is the double door, large unit.
    Chimney is lined block and tile, interior chimney, good shape. Wood is mixed maple and ash, cut and stacked last winter/spring.
    This will be the primary heat for a large open plan living, dining, kitchen with cathedral ceiling (about 700 s.f. ).
    Leaning towards the Englander (new unit with blower).
  6. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    What the diameter of that interior chimney's tiles? If it's larger than 8x8, I'd throw a SS liner down it.

I've very happy with my englander. I went from a fisher grandma bear to the the englander 30 and saved 1.5 cord of wood a year (from 5.5-6 down to 4 to 4.5). Also, the fisher was out before I got home from work, which meant I had a cold house and had to restart daily. The englander goes 12 hours between reloads so that's a non-issue now. I also get less creosote in the chimney, and have a great view of the fire. Win, win, win, if you fuel is good and seasoned.

If you try and throw wood into the englander that isn't well seasoned, it will laugh at you.

The fisher double door stoves were not as efficient as the single door units.

pen
  7. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    If you can wait until spring, the englanders usually go on sale. Prices have been in the 649$ range consistently including earlier this year. Brand new, warranty, fire view, UL listed, EPA certified,
  8. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    Thanks for the info. Wish I could wait but need to get this baby hooked up now. Looks like an Englander is in the immediate future.
  9. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Member

Loc:
    Hoosierland
    I think that's a great choice considering your getting a new, modern stove versus an older used stove for a only a few hundred dollars cheaper.
  10. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Member

Loc:
    Hoosierland
    I paid $50 to a sweet, 90 year old lady for my old stove I just refurbished. But it's something I HAD to have when I saw it and wanted to give her something for it. But short of a deal like that, there's no way I'd pay more than a couple hundred bucks for any older stove regardless of it's condition. You can buy a brand new wood stove, with blowers and with secondary burns for around $500, at Menards, Tractor Supply and a couple other hardware type stores in my area.
  11. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    Thanks for all the help. Just unloaded a new 30-NCH. Guess I'll be switching over to the new stove forum.
    pen likes this.