Fisher Mama Bear VI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherforme

Oct 8, 2014
Pennsylvania
Just picked up this Fisher Mama Bear VI on Craiglist and would like to know more about it. Is it supposed to have a baffle or some other parts within it, a door gasket? Seems odd that I can look right through to the flue outlet. It came with a manual, but it doesn't show me what the interior is supposed to look like other than brick placement.
The manual says 1980 on it, not sure if that is the year of it or not. There is a Tag on the back.
I removed the air knobs and door spring handle to put a new coat of paint on it.
I'm hoping to run this in the upcoming winter, but want to make sure I'm doing the right things. Should I have a damper in the pipe, a baffle, door gasket, any type of special stove pipe for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I installed a new Duravent Chimney last season so I'm hoping I can use it with this stove. Hope to hear some input and advice from anyone more experienced with these stoves. Thanks! Here's some pictures. I can get more if needed....

IMAG0417_BURST002.jpg IMAG0419.jpg IMAG0422_BURST001.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 220
With that exterior chimney, you're not going to need much of a baffle to keep heat in the stove. You're gong to need it up the chimney.........single door stoves had none originally.
You're good as long as that chimney is a 6 inch inside flue.
Door seal is the metal channel iron around door opening. No gasket material needed.

Connector pipe must be 24 ga. min. with 3 screws at each joint. Single wall must have a clearance to combustible of at least 18 inches. Double wall has a reduced clearance down to 6. Depends on your installation.

What does the manual state in installation instructions about a damper in that model? The VI Bear Series is one of the few manuals not uploaded and still needed. If you have one, could you scan and send it in an email to me to be added to the Hearth Wiki? [email protected] Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.