1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Loc:
    Eastern VA
    I just purchased a Mama Bear stove. Excellent condition & i paid $400.00. My goal is to heat my 30X40 shop with 12' ceiling. Does anyone have any idea if the price was fair and if it will produce enough heat to warm the shop?

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    Paging Coaly...

There's a lot of folks on here who have them. That sounds like a bit much to pay for an old stove with old technology but it depends a lot I suppose on the condition and what you need from it. It will heat the heck out of your shop. The Fishers were the best of their era and remain more desirable in that respect for sure but they are considered "smoke dragons" ie polluters that go through a lot more wood than the stoves with the newer cleaner technology. Do a search and you will see all kinds of Fisher stuff on this website including people who have modified their stoves to get a cleaner burn! Coaly lovingly restores his and has them around his house as furniture!
  3. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Loc:
    Eastern VA
    Thanks Alot, I was a bit concerned because a few friends told me that it was probably too small. It will be ineresting to see.

Thanks
  4. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    Well actually yeah that is a good sized shop now that I look again. Fisher made some that were a lot bigger so presumably this one is not aiming to heat quite that large an area but they are all certainly good heaters. Others will weigh in on the expected capacity though! Most of our winters here in eastern VA aren't that bad though, right? (Last winter being the BIG, COLD exception!!)
  5. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    The Grandpa Bear I have is rated to 2000 sq ft so I would expect this will heat your shop. Many thanks to Coaly for all the info on this old Bicentennial GB, Randy PS, No I don't think you overpaid when I look at the high priced heaters at the local Farm & Barn.