Fisher Stove Poll

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Why Do You Buy Fisher Stoves?

• Total voters

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
Trying to post a poll here, so feel free to participate.

I wont spend any money on a fisher. But i have one i got for free in my shop. I use it occasionally and it is good for that application. No way i would heat my house with it full time though. There is just way better stuff out there.

Reactions: Todd67
Thanks for your participation and feedback, bholler!

I don't have a new stove to compare it to. But I know that my Fisher burns less wood with the angled baffle plate I put in it than it does without the baffle plate. The baffle plate makes a huge difference. I can also see where a double door Fisher would be less efficient than a single door Fisher.

Thanks for your participation and feedback, bholler!

I don't have a new stove to compare it to. But I know that my Fisher burns less wood with the angled baffle plate I put in it than it does without the baffle plate. The baffle plate makes a huge difference. I can also see where a double door Fisher would be less efficient than a single door Fisher.
They are good old stoves dont get me wrong. If you need allot of btus right away they are great. But when people shut them back hard to get lower heatoutput and longer burns they make a huge mess of the chimney. For their day they were pretty good stoves. But even then there were more efficent stoves.

They are good old stoves dont get me wrong. If you need allot of btus right away they are great. But when people shut them back hard to get lower heatoutput and longer burns they make a huge mess of the chimney. For their day they were pretty good stoves. But even then there were more efficent stoves.

I friend of mine told me that he has to clean his chimney three times a year, and he uses a newer stove. He and I both use a proper class A insulated chimney but I'm guessing he burns wood that isn't properly seasoned. I season my own wood and I clean my chimney once a year. I noticed a lot more smoke from my chimney before I put the baffle plate in. We burn wood 8 months a year in northern NY, but 1-2 months is just a morning burn to take the chill off the house, during late spring and early fall. But for 5-6 months straight our stove fire never goes out. I season maple for at least 18 months, and pine for 2 years before I burn it. Ash is ready to burn one year after I cut it down.

I've learned a lot on this forum from guys like you, coaly and many others that have decades of experience with burning wood and coal in a variety of stoves and heaters. I appreciate the different views and opinions, and I approach everything with an open mind.

I friend of mine told me that he has to clean his chimney three times a year, and he uses a newer stove. He and I both use a proper class A insulated chimney but I'm guessing he burns wood that isn't properly seasoned. I season my own wood and I clean my chimney once a year. I noticed a lot more smoke from my chimney before I put the baffle plate in. We burn wood 8 months a year in northern NY, but 1-2 months is just a morning burn to take the chill off the house, during late spring and early fall. But for 5-6 months straight our stove fire never goes out. I season maple for at least 18 months, and pine for 2 years before I burn it. Ash is ready to burn one year after I cut it down.

I've learned a lot on this forum from guys like you, coaly and many others that have decades of experience with burning wood and coal in a variety of stoves and heaters. I appreciate the different views and opinions, and I approach everything with an open mind.
Yes no matter what stove it is you need to know how to run it. Even the best stove can make a mess out of a chimney if not operated correctly. But modern stoves can keep the chimney much cleaner without dumping as much heat out the chimney

I got one for free, delivered. I fixed it up and hooked it up last season in place of my englander 30. I found out it needs a door gasket to be controllable do I'll be installing that soon and probably replacing the bolts for the air knobs since they are really loose. I plan on keeping it for a backup basement stove when I eventually get the 30 moved to the main floor. Now it just sits in the garage till either needed or if I want to hook it up again for fun.

Reactions: bholler
Use the thinnest door gasket that you can get away with. Rope gaskets are usually too big. Try the cardboard test on a closed door and see if you can pull the cardboard out. If you can't pull the cardboard out,btry a piece of paper.

Yeah I forgot to do the cardboard test. I did already get the 5/8 flat gasket camfan told me about but have not installed it yet.
So you cut a strip of normal cardboard and put it in the outer vertical channels and see if the doors close, is that correct?

Kinda hard to explain, but cut it the shape of a dollar bill. Place half of it inside the door and close the door on it. The other half of the cardboard is the piece you are holding on to. Try to pull the cardboard out of the door with the door closed.

My apologies, I forgot you have a double door stove. Place the cardboard along/thru the top of the right side door, close to where the doors come together. Latch the right side door and try to pull the cardboard upwards out of the top of the door channel.

You are testing the seal between the door and the channel iron on the front facing of the stove. Not the gap between the two doors.

My apologies, I forgot you have a double door stove. Place the cardboard along/thru the top of the right side door, close to where the doors come together. Latch the right side door and try to pull the cardboard upwards out of the top of the door channel.

You are testing the seal between the door and the channel iron on the front facing of the stove. Not the gap between the two doors.
I have never heard of using cardboard. I always use a dollar bill if it slides out easily you need gasket. Cardboard is way to thick

Thanks bholler. I've read about using either one. But due to lack of personal experience I'll go along with the dollar bill test over cardboard. I figured cereal box cardboard, not corrugated cardboard.

Thanks bholler. I've read about using either one. But due to lack of personal experience I'll go along with the dollar bill test over cardboard. I figured cereal box cardboard, not corrugated cardboard.
Cereal box is still way to thick