fisher wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddog

Dec 27, 2007
minnesota
are fisher wood stoves any good? i am wanting to replace mine with an epa stove, my fisher seems to put out good heat , but i think alot goes up the pipe.are they even safe to use?

As far as I know, these stoves are no longer manufactured so finding parts should they be needed might be a problem. Fisher stoves (three sizes were available, if I remember correctly) were among the first generation of "air tight" stoves that appeared in the 70's. They had a very good reputation for workmanship, reliability, and heating capacity.

I had a papa bear and boy did that thing heat. It did go through a bit more wood than I do now, I wish I still had mine. Not saying it was better than the quad I just bought but I thought it was a real nice heater. Did have a small chimney fire with it though it was my own fault, thought I had the door shut tightly when I did not.

I still have my mama bear but its relagated to the shop these days and just used on occasion. Still works good after 20 years but it does eat wood. What I can burn in it in 4hrs will last all night in my Quad. If you are buying your wood a new stove will pay for itself in no time and youll be burning cleaner and getting more heat.

I live in a small house that is more than 1/2 Great Room. Since I work from home and I'm a hermit by nature, I spend about 90% of my life within 15' of my fisher stove. I burn about 4 cords of yellow pine and douglas fir through it from Sept to May every year with evening fires many nights through June and August. I guess I'd consider mine a good stove.
Jahfre Fire Eater

fraxinus said:
As far as I know, these stoves are no longer manufactured so finding parts should they be needed might be a problem. Fisher stoves (three sizes were available, if I remember correctly) were among the first generation of "air tight" stoves that appeared in the 70's. They had a very good reputation for workmanship, reliability, and heating capacity.

Based on my experience with these stoves they don't require parts with the exception of firebricks every once in a while. They are built like tanks and I mean it when I say that you could burn a Fisher for 50 years and not have to do a thing to it. My mom and dad are somewhere around year 30 with theirs and it has required nothing but firebrick.

The big downside as previously stated is that they eat wood like crazy, but also throw crazy amounts of heat while doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.