Fisher XL woodstove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. eBay you will likely overpay.

I find them listed as other models, so you have to know by pictures what to look for. Simply searching XL will only find those that the seller knows what they have.

Are you looking for a top or rear vent? (Applies to one for use only. For collecting this may not be important) Sun door only, or is the Fir Tree version acceptable? Does it need to come with screen? Finally, is anywhere acceptable to ship from, or will you travel for it within a limited radius?

These models do not have a UL Listing label, so are no longer legal for installation in VA. Many insurance companies require UL Listing as well.

Coaly, I am the one who sold the XL in VA some years ago with the sun doors and 10"top vent. I would be delighted to have the opportunity to purchase that same one. I would like it for my collection along side of the bear series. My preference would be one with the sun doors. Vent location doesn't matter. That XL was the nicest Fisher stove I had my hands on. My goal is to collect one of each model that Fisher made. I know the XL will be the hardest one to come across.

The one on eBay that was pictured on the front of loader with clear blue sky behind it? I think that was listed with the serial number that I keep a record of when I get serials of any of them. I would have bought that one if I didn’t already have a brand new one.

My collection is each of the 3 Bear Series models of the very early models, without trees, “Fisher-Stove” Springfield Oregon door, 3piece tops, side vent. They have to come from the first few fabricators that made them. My Grandpa is a prototype 3 piece top with brass ball handles and feet. The only one older is the prototype with steel plate doors at a neighbors of Bob’s old place that has another neighbor that moved away that has first dibs on it. Other newer models in my collection are Brass and Glass double door Honey Bear and a Nickel single door Honey Bear. Brass Goldilocks, and the only new, unfired XL I have seen.

There are so many variations of each model, I chose the earliest made of he first 3, then the best samples of each later design. I only sell one when I find a better example of a model, preferably new, unfired to upgrade the collection. It becomes a work in progress even after collecting them all. You can get into lefty’s or Fireplace leg options.... or time period models. Any are getting more difficult to find, and I’m expecting a big increase of new wood burners looking for cheaper heat than increasing gas, oil and electric. Next heating season could get crazy finding any wood burning appliances with used prices reflecting that.

Inserts were so common and take up so much room, and are difficult to display, so I never started those. I would of course grab a Flame or TF -88 model, or a nice glass III or IV if like new.

The other like new XL I remember was pictured in the photos from Weyers Cave, if that was yours.

The one in Weyers Cave, VA on front of the loader forks was mine. I had refurbished a lot of fishers in the years but have depleted my collection. I just purchased a very nice papa bear. It has inspired me to restart the hobby. I too would like to keep one of each model, then only when I find a nicer one of the same model would I sell one.

I'm still looking for a Fisher XL. Let me know if you know where any are located that could be purchased. Today I picked up a nice original baby bear model. Does the baby bear come with a serial number?

I'm still looking for a Fisher XL. Let me know if you know where any are located that could be purchased. Today I picked up a nice original baby bear model. Does the baby bear come with a serial number?
Serial numbered stoves are on the UL Label.

Did the OP ever find an XL?
With only 4 posts, and all in this thread, I doubt he'll get informed of your post.
If you have one you'd like to sell, send him a PM. He should get an email notification.