Fiskars blade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brakatak

Jul 1, 2013
SE Mass.
Just got it x27. First day using already got nick in the blade. Whats up with that? Is the blade really that soft?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 140
Yes, it's pretty soft. The Fiskars tools are well-designed, but they're not marvels of metallurgy. With a tool that has has a thin profile and a fairly acute edge that must be able to handle large impacts, keeping it on the soft side is the most economical way of avoiding having big, shrapnel-like chunks break off when you hit something you shouldn't.

I haven't chipped mine in the middle of the edge like that yet, but I have blunted the far corner a couple of times when a badly aimed swing glanced to the side and hit my *cough* concrete patio. Fortunately the softness makes it easy to sharpen, too.

Yes that is typical. Before I broke the head off mine I found if I kept sharpening the blade it got more "robust" after awhile. GL.

yup normal

There is no magic steel that will do it all. As an amateur bladesmith I have done a ton of research on steel, metallurgy and the Heat Treat process. For an axe or chopping tool to be effective it must be softer than, say, a skinning knife. This typically puts it in a 45-55 Rockwell and knives are often 60 and above depending on the purpose. Too hard and they will crack, chip or even shatter with the abuse they take. That coupled with the low price point makes it unlikely Fiskers is using any sort of magic in the process. I find them to be a great, great tool for what they are designed at a very affordable price but they, like any chopper, will require some maintenance.

Reactions: Sisu
Mine's got a bunch of nicks and chips but doesn't seem to slow it down much.....

Status
Not open for further replies.