Fiskars pickaroon XA22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rowerwet

Minister of Fire
After 5 seasons as a wood burner, I finally read a post that mentioned using a pickaroon to make wood processing easier.
Fiskars just brought their own take on the idea to the US recently, and since I love their tools, I got one off Amazon.
I've only used it for a week, but the first night proved I've been missing out.
I found the XA22 is great for moving big rounds to the splitter. I've recently been cutting and splitting a huge old maple, and most of my rounds are 20" + diameter.
Instead of squatting and pushing them around, I can just stand and use the hook to pull as needed.
The next night I was stacking my splits, the pickaroon made it super easy ad I could hook and lift the splits without bending over, and stack with the other hand. Even the splits that wouldn't stay hooked were easy to tip up on end, easy to grab with the other hand.
The XA22 is made the same way the X27 is, with a hollow plastic handle, and the metal tip is light, making it seem weightless to lift.
This requires a flick of the wrist to get it to stick, but the length gives plenty of mechanical advantage.
I've read that you can add weights to the head by bolting them through the hole in the metal head.
the XA22 comes with a plastic guard that has a toggle and carrying handle, like the ones the fiskars axes have.

20170411_173217.jpg

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
It also came in very handy yesterday moving those 30" rounds around on my big maple score
20170415_171445.jpg

I have two homemade models that I wished I had years ago. Great tools! I am curious to try the Fiskars model, thank you for the review!

LG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: rowerwet
I just got my fiskars pickaroon today. I think the package actually called it a hookaroon. Either term works I suppose. I'm looking forward to really trying it out this weekend. I have about a cord to get cut, split, and stacked. I'm hoping between the XA22 and my new to me kinetic splitter I will see a nice jump in productivity. I've split almost a cord with the kinetic so far and don't believe I would ever go back to a hydraulic by choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: