Fiskars X25 28 inch maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
Got one off of eBay for a good price. Showed up today and I split with it for the first time. Damn! A total beast. I have a log splitter but this thing will be getting some serious use for reasonably sized pieces. I tested it on a 16" wide piece of white oak, maple and black locust. It destroyed the oak and locust and the maple gave it a fight for some reason. Being the first time I used it I was thoughtful of chopping off my foot so I wasn't swinging like I was trying to hit a home run. The maul was bouncing off the maple like it was rubber. One time it actually bounced off and headed for my forehead. I did split the piece up but it was real tough going. I really like this tool. Will get a lot of use. I know there are threads on these mauls but I wanted to start one as I am very impressed with it. While I was using it I could have sworn it was faster than the splitter. It was much faster. I am hooked.

Boom Stick said:
Got one off of eBay for a good price. Showed up today and I split with it for the first time. Damn! A total beast. I have a log splitter but this thing will be getting some serious use for reasonably sized pieces. I tested it on a 16" wide piece of white oak, maple and black locust. It destroyed the oak and locust and the maple gave it a fight for some reason. Being the first time I used it I was thoughtful of chopping off my foot so I wasn't swinging like I was trying to hit a home run. The maul was bouncing off the maple like it was rubber. One time it actually bounced off and headed for my forehead. I did split the piece up but it was real tough going. I really like this tool. Will get a lot of use. I know there are threads on these mauls but I wanted to start one as I am very impressed with it. While I was using it I could have sworn it was faster than the splitter. It was much faster. I am hooked.

Its amazing how much easier to split with one of those, I had to stop for a while due to tendonitis in my shoulder. I had some trouble with maple too, even my electric splitter hesitates before splitting the maple.

Welcome to the power of the Fiskars! :coolgrin:

Mt Ski Bum said:
Welcome to the power of the Fiskars! :coolgrin:

My buddy had one of their shovels. It was called "the world's strongest shovel" a total beast shovel. Good stuff.

Boom stick,

How are ya? The x25 you have. When I look it up it says it is an axe. Does this thing work as good as a maul. I swing a maul with a wooden handle. It works good. But the x25 looks lighter. If it works as good as a maul I may try one out. But sometimes even my maul has a hard time with some of the wood. With less weight, it makes me wonder if it will split near what the maul will. The less weight would be nice for the wear and tear on the body though. :)

Gasifier said:
Does this thing work as good as a maul. I swing a maul with a wooden handle. It works good. But the x25 looks lighter. If it works as good as a maul I may try one out. But sometimes even my maul has a hard time with some of the wood. With less weight, it makes me wonder if it will split near what the maul will. The less weight would be nice for the wear and tear on the body though. :)

I read a lot about the X25 and X27 and wanted to see if it would split wood that I couldn't split with my maul. Today was my first day with the X27. I started on a large round of wet, pin oak. The X27 wanted to bounce off. I switched to my maul and it also bounced off, but not as much. I wasn't able to split the rounds that I saved from the summer that I couldn't split with my maul. I don't know what kind of wood they are but they didn't even begin to split. I was hoping that the X27 would make me like Superman splitting wood. I found that I like the X27 better for smaller rounds. It is much lighter than my maul which allows me to strike more accurately and use less energy. I did notice more vibration in my hands with the X27. I tried a few different techniques including rolling my wrists forward just before impact and bending my knees. I tried with and without a chopping block. I'll keep working with the X27 to see if I can find a swing that works better. I read some posts comparing the perfect swing to a golf swing. I can't hit a golf ball which may be part of the problem. My first impression is that it is better than a maul for splitting smaller rounds but for large rounds, I'll stick with my maul. There were only a few pin oak rounds that I could split completely with either tool. I worked around the edges of the others and rolled them to the end of the wood pile to save for my neighbor's log splitter. Some of the rounds have a lot of knotts in them and they are all very heavy. The smaller pieces split easier with either tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.