Fiskar's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perchin, perhaps you missed the fact that I was not the only person swinging that thing!

Backwoods Savage said:
oldspark said:
perchin said:
OMG... with ash, still had these problems...haha
Yea I question this thread for there is a lot of BS(bull sh!t) in it, I will add I split wood by hand for 30 years so no body's gonna blow smoke up my ash. I will just let you guys wonder where I am at on the subject.

oldspark, it is the type of bs you just posted that will get threads closed. Thank you, but your post is a bit out of line, sir, and we do not wonder a bit.
I am on a roll lately but I stand by what I said, not out of line what so ever, if the wood splits easily any tool can do the job, its the hard stuff where the rubber meets the road, still out of line?

Backwoods Savage said:
BB, I got ours out and started. Then Pete come so no splitting done yet. However, this thing is really starting to use some oil now so we may have to do something. I don't think a Briggs is worth overhauling so when it goes, it will probably be a new motor. In the meantime, oil is cheaper than metal.

A log rolled down the hill and smacked the carb on mine smack on the end a few years ago. Broke it in two. The shop wanted $93 just to hand me a carb. I put a $99 Harbor Freight Honda clone on it and away it went. I just had to replace the carb because ethanol had gummed it up. $14 off of eBay shipping included for a carb vs. more than that for a bucket of carb cleaner.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well quads, you know how it is. We try different tools. Some work for us and some don't. Operator error?! With me that is always a possibility.

Actually I was thinking about you when Pete brought the Fiskars and wishing I could just call you up and have you come over. We'd have had some fun.
HAHA! Yup. I would have very much enjoyed spending the day over there with you guys. I would have brought my favorite old 6 pounder. Anyway, if I ever do see one of those long-handled Fiskars locally, I am going to buy it. Just to pound it around out in the woods and see what all the fuss is about. Unfortunately, nobody local seems to want to carry them in stock. The one place I found that did have one said he finally sold it eventually and seemed reluctant to ever stock one again, so I'm not holding my breath.

I will add that I thought the Fiskars worked on some wood I could not split with my maul, I guess it was because it was sharp, much easier on my shoulder, I did have to use the maul once in a while for some some pieces. After buying a hyd. spitter a year ago I wonder how I ever got by with out it.

Backwoods Savage said:
pen said:
Backwoods Savage said:
That part in bold is something that I've wondered about. I'm thinking that most of the posts I've read concerning the Fiskars is from folks who do not have that much experience. I don't know for sure but I've certainly wondered about it. For those with less experience, when they get hold of a tool that works better than what they had, it is almost a miracle to them and perhaps this is the case with the Fiskars. No doubt there are exceptions because I do remember some with more experience using and liking the tool.

Again, I'm not trying to run down the tool or blow someone's bubble; just stating what I found. I'm still a bit amazed but perhaps I expected too much.

Did you swing another maul or axe at the same time for a comparison?

I use(d) the maul that I grew up using as a kid that belonged to my grandfather. It's an old 8lb maul shaped like one that quad has posted pictures of. I've switched back and forth between a dozen other tools over the years and always came back to that 8lb maul.

I bought the x25 a few years ago because I thought that the reviews had to be inflated by inexperienced folks. I was hell bent on proving them wrong. I received the x25 in Jan for my birthday and went outside to the "bone pile" of logs that I'd had trouble with in the past and threw to the side for splitting at a later time. I couldn't believe how it went through them. I kept switching back and forth between my favorite maul and it and couldn't believe the progress i was making.

Anyway, I tell that story because I didn't tell the 4 guys I usually split wood w/ about the axe yet because I didn't want them saying BS and hand them the tool to try and find it to be junk. Instead, I waited until June, constantly switching between the various tools I have (including a 6lb maul, one of those chopper axes w/ the flip out wings, a good old double bit axe, standard axe, etc) until I was thoroughly convinced it was working better.

After a day of cutting and not planning on splitting, we were about ready to grab a beer and I handed one of the regular buddies the x25. He took 2 swings w/ it splitting apart a few 2foot diameter logs. Never said a word and handed it back to me, we had our beer, bs'd a bit, and went home.

About a week later I find a package in my truck after work. It's an x27 (just came on the market at the time). That buddy bought me one, one for himself, and 4 others. All 6 of us that received an x27 that day had a variety of tools before that were our favorite. One guy used a 12lb monster maul, another a modern 8lb, another a 6lb, etc. A year later, and about 35 cord of wood split between the group last year using the x27, there is only one tool that you'll find in the back of our trucks. Nobody has switched back.

Now, that is simply the reason that I have also given this tool good reviews. However, our good results may not be duplicated by everyone. Sorry to hear you weren't as pleased Dennis. If after some more toying w/ it you aren't pleased, I'm sure you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a buyer for it.

pen

With all due respect pen, I've swung enough axes and mauls and sledge hammers in my time to know what would happen. Nice try though.

So. . . no?

Bigg_Redd said:
Backwoods Savage said:
pen said:
Backwoods Savage said:
That part in bold is something that I've wondered about. I'm thinking that most of the posts I've read concerning the Fiskars is from folks who do not have that much experience. I don't know for sure but I've certainly wondered about it. For those with less experience, when they get hold of a tool that works better than what they had, it is almost a miracle to them and perhaps this is the case with the Fiskars. No doubt there are exceptions because I do remember some with more experience using and liking the tool.

Again, I'm not trying to run down the tool or blow someone's bubble; just stating what I found. I'm still a bit amazed but perhaps I expected too much.

Did you swing another maul or axe at the same time for a comparison?

I use(d) the maul that I grew up using as a kid that belonged to my grandfather. It's an old 8lb maul shaped like one that quad has posted pictures of. I've switched back and forth between a dozen other tools over the years and always came back to that 8lb maul.

I bought the x25 a few years ago because I thought that the reviews had to be inflated by inexperienced folks. I was hell bent on proving them wrong. I received the x25 in Jan for my birthday and went outside to the "bone pile" of logs that I'd had trouble with in the past and threw to the side for splitting at a later time. I couldn't believe how it went through them. I kept switching back and forth between my favorite maul and it and couldn't believe the progress i was making.

Anyway, I tell that story because I didn't tell the 4 guys I usually split wood w/ about the axe yet because I didn't want them saying BS and hand them the tool to try and find it to be junk. Instead, I waited until June, constantly switching between the various tools I have (including a 6lb maul, one of those chopper axes w/ the flip out wings, a good old double bit axe, standard axe, etc) until I was thoroughly convinced it was working better.

After a day of cutting and not planning on splitting, we were about ready to grab a beer and I handed one of the regular buddies the x25. He took 2 swings w/ it splitting apart a few 2foot diameter logs. Never said a word and handed it back to me, we had our beer, bs'd a bit, and went home.

About a week later I find a package in my truck after work. It's an x27 (just came on the market at the time). That buddy bought me one, one for himself, and 4 others. All 6 of us that received an x27 that day had a variety of tools before that were our favorite. One guy used a 12lb monster maul, another a modern 8lb, another a 6lb, etc. A year later, and about 35 cord of wood split between the group last year using the x27, there is only one tool that you'll find in the back of our trucks. Nobody has switched back.

Now, that is simply the reason that I have also given this tool good reviews. However, our good results may not be duplicated by everyone. Sorry to hear you weren't as pleased Dennis. If after some more toying w/ it you aren't pleased, I'm sure you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a buyer for it.

pen

With all due respect pen, I've swung enough axes and mauls and sledge hammers in my time to know what would happen. Nice try though.

So. . . no?

Exactly... But, we are not self appointed experts either.

I used to be a Fiskars sceptic. For most of my life I used splitting mauls of various weights. After using the Fiskars Pro and Super splitters I am a convert. I find them to be more efficient and easier on the body. Another thing I like is the toughness of the handle. Every-so-often I tend to contact the handle (near the axe head) with the log, depending on how the split goes or over-strikes. With the wood handled mauls, the handle would wear away, until it eventually broke. Fibreglass handles would crack and become useless. The Fiskars handle is still in the same shape as the day it way made, despite getting banged around.

But with any product, there are people who love it, hate it, or are ambiguous.

While the Fiskars seems like a pretty good axe, some folks have spoken of it like you don't even have to swing it for the wood to split. I think those of us who have been doing it long enough know that larger rounds and tougher wood are going to take a maul or hydraulic to do the job better. I am sure that Fiskars is great on smaller stuff and easy to split rounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.