1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fiskar's

Post in 'The Gear' started by Backwoods Savage, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Perchin, perhaps you missed the fact that I was not the only person swinging that thing!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I am on a roll lately but I stand by what I said, not out of line what so ever, if the wood splits easily any tool can do the job, its the hard stuff where the rubber meets the road, still out of line?
  3. moody

moody Member

Loc:
    Southern West Virginia
    i think the x27 is way over rated . have an old 8 pound mall that does a much better job with less work. i only use the x27 for kindling now.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A log rolled down the hill and smacked the carb on mine smack on the end a few years ago. Broke it in two. The shop wanted $93 just to hand me a carb. I put a $99 Harbor Freight Honda clone on it and away it went. I just had to replace the carb because ethanol had gummed it up. $14 off of eBay shipping included for a carb vs. more than that for a bucket of carb cleaner.
  5. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    HAHA! Yup. I would have very much enjoyed spending the day over there with you guys. I would have brought my favorite old 6 pounder. Anyway, if I ever do see one of those long-handled Fiskars locally, I am going to buy it. Just to pound it around out in the woods and see what all the fuss is about. Unfortunately, nobody local seems to want to carry them in stock. The one place I found that did have one said he finally sold it eventually and seemed reluctant to ever stock one again, so I'm not holding my breath.
  6. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I will add that I thought the Fiskars worked on some wood I could not split with my maul, I guess it was because it was sharp, much easier on my shoulder, I did have to use the maul once in a while for some some pieces. After buying a hyd. spitter a year ago I wonder how I ever got by with out it.
  7. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    So. . . no?
  8. perchin

perchin Member

Loc:
    Six Lakes, MI
    Exactly... But, we are not self appointed experts either.
  9. Sisu

Sisu Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    I used to be a Fiskars sceptic. For most of my life I used splitting mauls of various weights. After using the Fiskars Pro and Super splitters I am a convert. I find them to be more efficient and easier on the body. Another thing I like is the toughness of the handle. Every-so-often I tend to contact the handle (near the axe head) with the log, depending on how the split goes or over-strikes. With the wood handled mauls, the handle would wear away, until it eventually broke. Fibreglass handles would crack and become useless. The Fiskars handle is still in the same shape as the day it way made, despite getting banged around.

But with any product, there are people who love it, hate it, or are ambiguous.
  10. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    While the Fiskars seems like a pretty good axe, some folks have spoken of it like you don't even have to swing it for the wood to split. I think those of us who have been doing it long enough know that larger rounds and tougher wood are going to take a maul or hydraulic to do the job better. I am sure that Fiskars is great on smaller stuff and easy to split rounds...