fitting a powerful woodstove into a tight space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
I'd think that you really run the risk of having a couple of rooms that are unbearably warm and the rest of the house will be cold. I hate to be the guy that didn't read carefully, but did you mention how open the floorplan is?

Read carefully Danno. ;-)

thanx for nothin' Jags... I was trying to be lazy.

with very open space between rooms/stories and some airflow assistance by fans/cold air returns.

c_dinsmore said:
another thing someone brought up for me to ask is this... is there also a possibility of getting too large of a stove? according to folk theory, at least around where i grew up, is that stoves should be used at, not max, but full capacity, and that it can even harm a stove in the end to be firing it under temperature. truth or fable?
u can downsize the firebox by adding firebrix in the box, ax branchburner [ member]

You can also just add less fuel. The T6 will burn happily with a low fuel load once a coal bed is established.

Okay, T6 it is. The more i think about it, also, the cook plates are more of a selling point than just a quaint accessory. They will earn big points with my wife and housemates. They also will allow me to not be so rushed to get the kitchen back up to full function once i tear it down to scratch! (That is a next in line project for my ghetto mansion). Anyway, hopefully i can find a nearby dealer with one in stock.

So i just downloaded the manual and tomorrow i will call the city to check on code. Then i can give a check to the advice i keep getting locally (in fact it is quite contradictory to what i read on here). For example, i have been told i need 4.5in thich non combustible material (i.e. concrete) flooring under the stove and extending 8in past the stove dimensions, and that this floor cannot attach or touch any metal, including screws. !!!. The T6 manual, on the other hand, says that the stove can be placed on top of a combustible floor, as long as there is a non combustible barrier (any thickness) around the stove 18in for embers that spill out. This leads me to believe that i must live in somewhat of a pocket of paranoia. This is great news to me, because it means not having to cut out wood floors, restructure the floor joists to accommodate a concrete block, pour the concrete block, and finish. Instead, i can simply buy a "mat" as suggested above or mortar together some handmade tiles (my wife works ceramics at a local art studio that is pretty up on fireproof tiling and kilns and other 500+deg things) or marble slabs (my house came with a surprising abundance of marble slabs of all sizes in the basement). Fair enough?

As part of the plan, incorporate sealing and insulating the old place. Don't worry too much about windows, unless they are falling apart. Just seal up the casings while you have the walls opened. That will be one of the best investments you make.

http://www.energysavvy.com/rebates/PA/city/pittsburgh/

As I understand fire code regulations, manufacturer's requirements trump local generic requirements. You've possible been quoted local requirements which were developed in lieu of any specific ones from your manufacturer.

Others on this forum can verify this (as should your local fire chief/inspector).

DanCorcoran said:
As I understand fire code regulations, manufacturer's requirements trump local generic requirements. You've possible been quoted local requirements which were developed in lieu of any specific ones from your manufacturer.

Others on this forum can verify this (as should your local fire chief/inspector).

Not necessarily true . . . a lot depends on the individual inspector and local requirements . . . while most folks would probably be OK with just following the manufacturer's specs and NFPA 211, some places may have more stringent requirements.

For example, our inspector was requiring listed floor protection for all woodstoves AND pelletstoves even if they only required ember protection. His reasoning was that the cost was minimal (listed Durock at the time) and the benefits of having exceeded the code was a benefit . . . few people balk at laying out an extra $10-$25 . . . as the Inspector puts it . . . the code is like a plain cheese pizza . . . if a city or town or even an individual (with support from the Chief and/or City Council) wants they can ask for extra requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.