fix or replace 20 yr old Acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSDave

Dec 29, 2011
Halifax NS Canada
Hi everyone;

I'm trying to decide what to do with my wood stove. its 1991 VC acclaim; and it needs the usual firebick, upper fireback, gaskets and combustion pk.

The "rest" of the stove is in good shape
I've gotten 2 opposite opinions from the 2 local VC dealers " worth the fix" and "not worth the fix" HAHA; both suggested a Regency stove replacement; the F1100 and the 2400; the F1100 is twice the cost of the parts I need.

I've searched the site and read and read about the VC stoves.

I guess what I really would like input on is: is a 20 year old stove worth it? $$$ Is a consideration right now too, so a few more years from this one might be worth it; or am I setting myself up for more issues every year.

thanks for any tips or opinions.

Replace. The early vintage Acclaims ate refractory assemblies like candy.

If money is an issue right now, I would look for a good used stove. If you can find a good one, you could replace it with a new stove when you can afford it. The used one probably won't lose any value in the mean time, but the VC will still only be worth a few hundred bucks even after the rebuild.

Thanks for the input! I'm feeling there is no point in throwing good money after bad.

So if yours is an Acclaom II with ther firebrick in it, consider that a brickset $200.00, a Combustion package $225.00, an upper fireback $30.00 and labor (sorry, "labour") maybe $200.00 ish, adds up to WAY less than half the cost of a new ANYTHING. Even if you were to splurge and get a complete teardown, labour $400.00 or whatever, youve got a stove in like new cond. for reasonable. Still has the top load too, which Regency doesn't.

I guess those are US dollars, if that matters. The comparison would be similar I'm sure. I have mixed feelings about Acclaims, but they are so compact and have all the features abd that great classic architecture. I have been fixing V.C. stoves since before they made Acclaims. The thing that often tips the scales is how much wood you burh in a season, and how frequently you'll need to do this kind of work. 3 is the magic number, 3 or more cords per year likely means it won't be cost effective, but you must have a feel for it after all this tyime.

Whatever you do, HAPPY HEATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How long has this system lasted for you? How do you like it, and do you wish you had more? That is the question. If you are familiar and happy with this unit, then rebuild it for about 1/2 the cost of a new one. The VC outer castings are really good and stand the test of time. Where they screw up is how cutsie they try to get with the internal parts. But if you have had this stove without repair (other than gaskets/ cleaning, etc.) for the last ten years or so, and are happy with it, a rebuild may be exactly what the doctor ordered.

We just moved in in August 2011; the previous owner bought the stove new in 1991. They heated 24/7 with it. They left a bunch of recipts, and nothing about a combustion package; so who knows if it was done.
Right now for us its just supplementary heat, evenings, weekends when its cold, and I know its not running near as efficiently as it should be. and of course heat control isn't as good as it could be.

Edit: It heats our place well; right now it is 22.5 up and 25 down in teh room with the stove.
It is my first wood heat source; so nothing to compare to.

Good point on the size too; I was looking today and many other stoves are bigger for the same output.

Defiant: how likely is it that I'd be able to get the bolts out of the fireback to replace? What else is in there that might cause headache after I replace all that stuff.
I am teetering back and forth on taking it apart after this season; if ti came apart ok, repaior, if not .. replace...

Thanks again for the good discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.