Q&A Fixing Blower on Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an fireplace with an old blower insert. The blower is powered by an electrical cord that plugs directly from the insert to a wall power plug. The cord has been misplaced and I need to find another cord. I have been unable to have a cord fabricated to match the original cord.

Answer:

There is no reason that you cannot use standard components from a hardware store to do this type of repair. I've done it many a time myself. The stove companies do not use any special fittings that I know off - just off the shelf stuff.

However, certain inserts, like the Vermont Castings Winterwarm, use a power cord that has a male end (for the wall) and a female molded end that plugs into the insert. In this case, you'll have to get the matching one from the manufacturer..or, if they are out of business you'll have to have someone run a new cord into the insert and tie into the blower wires inside the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.