Fixing rust and white haze on Vigiliant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Gold

Feb 6, 2013
Our VC 1977 Vigilant has some whitish discoloration on the doors and also is developing some surface rust. What's the best way to treat this?

If you don't, the touched up part will be readily apparent.
Paint the entire thing, preferably outside during the Summer.
Buy two cans of paint to ensure you get the entire thing coated.
Also, your first fire will be a smoky one until the paint is heat cured.

Sometimes people have purchased a 3-4 foot section or two of cheap single wall flue pipe and set up a make-shift flue to have their first (and sometimes second) 'curing' fires outside. I did mine inside, but on a warm fall day where I had windows open and fans running. But either way, best not to wait till a cold winter/house closed up tight day to burn off a fresh painted stove.

A warning, once you have touched up the stove with stove paint, its going to smoke and stink for several fires with diminishing smells. If your stove has not been resealed if may be time to reseal it and paint it outdoors an set up temp flue pipe in the driveway and burn off a lot of the nastiness.

Maybe try old- fashioned rub- on stove polish!?! Not toxic, no spray paint in the house, smell not as bad.

I use this polish. a little odor but easy to re-black the stove
1648819405027.png