Flame around glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallpaper79

Jul 23, 2008
NL Canada
Just wondering if you guys can help me with another question. I have found that when I shut down my air, that I get a flame on the left side of the door glass for maybe a minute. I also seem to get some soot on the glass in that area. Do I have an air leak? Would the leak be in the glass seal or the door gasket. I have read you guys talking about the dollar bill test (won't work in Canada since we have a dollar coin); what am I looking for when I do this, and how do I go about it.

Cheers, Wallpaper

Sounds very much like a leak. You can get American greenbacks at the bank. What you need to look for is how easily the bill slides out when pulled.

wallpaper79 said:
I have read you guys talking about the dollar bill test (won't work in Canada since we have a dollar coin); what am I looking for when I do this, and how do I go about it.

If you use a Loonie and don't meet any resistance when you pull it out... definitely time for a new gasket.

Seriously, is there something special about a dollar bill that you won't get by using a substitute like typing paper or brown craft paper? I never knew about that trick, so I think I'll try it on the new (used) stove.

BK

Paper money has tear resistance.

wallpaper79 said:
Just wondering if you guys can help me with another question. I have found that when I shut down my air, that I get a flame on the left side of the door glass for maybe a minute. I also seem to get some soot on the glass in that area. Do I have an air leak? Would the leak be in the glass seal or the door gasket. I have read you guys talking about the dollar bill test (won't work in Canada since we have a dollar coin); what am I looking for when I do this, and how do I go about it.

Cheers, Wallpaper

Just slip a piece of paper in there. Nothing special about it being a dollar, just a handy sized piece of paper. A post it would work fine too, just don't put the sticky side in.

Status
Not open for further replies.