Flame fp-45 trouble shooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

usesformooses

Jan 27, 2019
Southwick, MA
Pellets light, firebox fills with smoke, smoke comes from the hopper, and there is evidence they are getting scorched in the auger. Cleaned EVERYTHING including chimney liner. What are my next steps?

Do you have a manual if not here is one
Is the intake air clean and open? Does the combustion fan work?
Is the hopper lid closed?
The air intake is clean and open, yes. I have the manual and cleaned according to it. Do you know a way to test the combustion side without lighting up the stove? Leaning towards that side of the combex unit isn't spinning up, or spinning as fast as it needs to.

Ya that manual doesn't cover proper cleaning for some reason.. I have this stove, she's a work horse but a bit loud in the shop even, I can't see how it would scorch the pellets in the auger as its very far away in comparison to most stoves as long as the lid is closed and the combination motor is spinning, the Combi motor runs both intake and exhaust fans on one shaft. I modified the air intake behind the RH door and separated it so it only draws outside air(it passively sucks inside and outside air, there is a kit you can buy, I just cut up some sheet metal instead and fit it), I also modified the draft dial on the lower RHside so it would practically close as I run it on idle often and there is a ton of draft from this stove, you might wanna have this dial half-wide open for lighting.

*The manual does't show you how to clean it properly, you need to pull the 3 panels and upper shield, and stick a coat hanger through the top left corner and blindly scrape away and through the bottom left corner leading to the Combi motor exhaust side and vacuum using small hoses, you need to remove the access panel to the combi motor exhaust side and brush the fins and housing and vacuum it out, you'll need a new square gasket. The stove is the same as a Drolet ECO-55 and made buy SBI, all the parts are available from SBI Quebec and they will send you the proper cleaning instructions if you call them, but I will attach them here to save you some time.

Attachments

• Maintenance 45 series.pdf
    908.7 KB · Views: 145
  • fullsizeoutput_2bb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2bb.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 123
Ya that manual doesn't cover proper cleaning for some reason.. I have this stove, she's a work horse but a bit loud in the shop even, I can't see how it would scorch the pellets in the auger as its very far away in comparison to most stoves as long as the lid is closed and the combination motor is spinning, the Combi motor runs both intake and exhaust fans on one shaft. I modified the air intake behind the RH door and separated it so it only draws outside air(it passively sucks inside and outside air, there is a kit you can buy, I just cut up some sheet metal instead and fit it), I also modified the draft dial on the lower RHside so it would practically close as I run it on idle often and there is a ton of draft from this stove, you might wanna have this dial half-wide open for lighting.

*The manual does't show you how to clean it properly, you need to pull the 3 panels and upper shield, and stick a coat hanger through the top left corner and blindly scrape away and through the bottom left corner leading to the Combi motor exhaust side and vacuum using small hoses, you need to remove the access panel to the combi motor exhaust side and brush the fins and housing and vacuum it out, you'll need a new square gasket. The stove is the same as a Drolet ECO-55 and made buy SBI, all the parts are available from SBI Quebec and they will send you the proper cleaning instructions if you call them, but I will attach them here to save you some time.
Thank you, I did see that and followed the instructions, but I think I missed the upper hole behind the left panel. Will take a look tonight. Trying to do this all on a teacher budget, might be looking at replacing this with a tractor supply special :(

If the lighting times are delayed you will get a code aswell, and it usually goes into cool down mode and then a 2nd attempt wasting pellets in the process, I've only replaced the ignitor for this reason on mine and I think is a 2004, but I have 4" exhaust 12' straight up with a cleanout T at the back of the stove. Its a good stove, I wouldn't abandon it, they aren't cheap these stoves and they are still making the exact same model for this reason.

Thanks all. I had vacuumed the left Chanel's but not given them a " coat hanger choice" after that holy hell so much stuff to vacuum....wawa wee wa great success very nice run like new

Reactions: MalcolmH