Flame size,fan speed??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eglide99

Dec 18, 2011
A A county Md
I have an Enviro Empress .. so far I am liking it. I have several questions for you more exp guys. #1 on "high" should the flame touch the heat ex tubes? mine does just the tips, I'm an HVAC guy and wonder if this condition will harm the heat ex. # 2 the manual calls the circ fan "variable speed", is it a true variable speed, because I only notice 2 speeds low and high. manual also say 105 cfm that would be high, low is barely noticiable would love to have more air circ. I burned a few bags of lignetic green bag and the stove seemed to like them. 84 lumber has quit a stash of them, gonna go price em. Thanks in advance great forum ;lol

My policy with our pellet stoves is that I never run them on high.

High heat over time will certainly take its toll on the exchanger tubes.
I run the 1 or 2 setting and if I need more heat, I start a second stove.

Running with the flames licking at the tubes will start to errode the metal in due time.
As far as the fan goes, I am not familiar with that particular stove, but normally the fan has several settings.

I have mine set to a mid to upper speed and never move it.

You may want to see if you can get a schematic for the stove and check out how the fan is supposed to work.

Good luck
snowy

I keep mine on high... comes on with the thermostat and then shuts off and keeps that whole house nice ..my policy is that i never run mine on low ..

My stove runs most of the time on med-low or medium. I like a bright, vigorous flame that barely licks the heat exchanger tubes. I adjust the fan too keep the tubes from getting too hot.

I'm curious. Don't your manuals tell you how to set the feed rate so that the flame is a certain height above the burn pot? Both of mine do.

I'm curious. Don't your manuals tell you how to set the feed rate so that the flame is a certain height above the burn pot? Both of mine do.

No... Very few stoves have an adjustment in the hopper to compensate for pellet size and density, like our Quads do..

Some newer Englanders have them, and also the M-55 has one. But even they are slightly different.

Thanks to all who responded..Yes the manual does have a pic of a healthy flame, I have to add a little air to get it down just below the H.E. tubes. Again thanks to all

No... Very few stoves have an adjustment in the hopper to compensate for pellet size and density, like our Quads do..

Some newer Englanders have them, and also the M-55 has one. But even they are slightly different.
Learn something new every day. i would have thought that some form of feed rate would allow a smaller number of pellets given a certain volume of air to adjust the flame height. Amazing, but not entirely surprising. :)

Learn something new every day. i would have thought that some form of feed rate would allow a smaller number of pellets given a certain volume of air to adjust the flame height. Amazing, but not entirely surprising. :)

All stoves have different feed rates. But not a way to "fine tune" that feed rate. Quad and Heatilator (both made by HHT) are the only 2 that have a "flame height" setting. That I know of..... Not saying there isn't more. Just never seen or heard of a flame height, other than those 2.

All stoves have different feed rates. But not a way to "fine tune" that feed rate. Quad and Heatilator (both made by HHT) are the only 2 that have a "flame height" setting. That I know of..... Not saying there isn't more. Just never seen or heard of a flame height, other than those 2.
No wonder some brands tell you NOT to run their stoves on HIGH for extended periods!!! Why have HIGH if you can't use it without destroying the stove? :)

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.