Flames hitting liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
was curious how close the flames in a non- cat epa stove would be expected to come to the bottom of liner. If I look through into the space between top of my Jotul insert and the sheet metal shroud I can see where liner adaptor goes into stove collar. While this adaptor fits into collar well, I can see what looks like intermittent fire light reflecting off the liner adaptor when my secondaries are going strong. To be sure the set up was good, I double checked and the gap between liner adaptor and was very minimal (less the 1/16 inch). I’m not sure if flame is actually hitting the liner at times or just coming real close.

If the wood is outgassing strongly it is possible to have flames licking at the flue collar. Closing down the air further and earlier can help reduce or prevent this.