1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Flaming mouse burns down house ...

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by OldLumberKid, Dec 8, 2012.

1. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    No worries. I actually like an org called Farm Sanctuary so I don't relish killing them either. I'm ok with them outside but not in my house. :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Over reading the "fiery gates of hell" thread just now, picturing a red 200 lb cloven-hooved mouse waiting for certain wood burners to "cross over"...
    firefighterjake likes this.
  3. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    I'd like to enter my 2c on this. The brick weeping vents (those small slits in the brick joints just above the foundation) are big enough for a mouse to enter, but don't fill them, they are necessary for ventilation and maintaining a dry cavity behind the brick. If they are hollow, there are plastic brick vents available or in a pinch, use pieces of coroplast or plastic dish scrubbers to fill.
  4. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Great point. Anything that needs airflow / vent is important to maintain.
  5. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    There's more humane ways to kill mice than throwing them in a fire,not against killing animals but do it in as humane way as possible,seems like the mouse gods got their revenge.
    heat seeker, OldLumberKid and gmule like this.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Ditto. I like to lure them in and give them a last meal of peanut butter . . . before the metal snap comes down and breaks their neck in a split second . . . this is how I would like to go . . . reaching for a fork-full of medium rare prime rib with au jus . . . and then SNAP!
    heat seeker and gmule like this.
  7. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Some of those mice are pretty clever. I have to be quite creative & meticulous in applying the peanut butter to the bait lever as some of our mice can lick it clean without setting it off.
    Wonder if they are that smart?
  8. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    That should never happen. Bend the metal pin or file it down a tad. Also use chunky peanut butter and squeeze it down into the pad. They'll put more pressure on the pad to get the nuts loose. Buddy of mine actually puts peanut butter in some cut up pantyhose and ties it on there.
  9. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    That's my usual method that works. I even pack it under the pad and into the rolled part. I'll have to try your first suggestion as well but it seems that it would make the hair trigger even more sensitive.
  10. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Definitely makes it very sensitive. I use tongs to put the trap down lightly and away from my fingers
    Realstone likes this.
  11. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    I recently did a RE inspection, the homeowner/seller had filled all the air gaps for his wall shield with foam- to keep mice out!
    Realstone likes this.
  12. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland

In my OP, I think I basically intimated, I would try to just report and not pass judgment, especially given the incurable and horrific deadliness of Hantavirus there, but I will admit that I had the same thoughts you did. Then I thought, well, confronted by a potentially lifethreatening situation, I don't know how I'd have dealt with it. But that story, I guess, says beware on many fronts.

13. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Liking da cat, because my 75# dog will not even notice anything below squirrel size.
    He might even need reading glasses to even see a mouse at his age.
  14. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    I gotta ask, what were they smoking, cigars, cigarettes, blunts, spliffs, old-fashioned rolled their own from packaged tobaccy?
  15. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Yes, it does raise some interesting discussions.

I should have done this first, but I trusted a BBC news sidebar, thinking it was current, not to mention authentic. Apparently so did AP, and it was picked up in a nearby (for there) news outlet — the Lubbock-Avalanche Journal on Jan. 9, 2006.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/010906/nat_010906033.shtml

Lubbock, Texas, is about 120 miles from Fort Sumner, N.M. Usually the local outlets should get good sources, but there may have been some calumny here on the part of the homeowner, according to this equally dubious source "bmoviecentral" who say Mares story changed later on.

http://www.bmoviecentral.com/bmoviecentral/blog/?p=996
    But, everything sounds authentic at this point, I don't know what to believe, but it makes interesting follow-up reading.

16. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Wrap a bit of steel wool around the trigger, then mash in a bit of peanut butter. Their teeth will catch in the steel wool, pulling on the trigger.

I get good results with a Rat Zapper, but also use snap traps since I have a lot of areas to cover. This time of year we get invaded by mice.
    OldLumberKid likes this.