Flat black repainting VC Vigilant: wash first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
i may repaint a vigilant i recently picked up. using rustoleum high temp flat black. i brushed it down with a stiff brush, blew it off with a leaf blower. wondering if i need to wash the exterior with something like dirtex or tsp before spraying. suggestions?

FAB4A175-2C18-4C1A-9ABC-B560E2236895.jpeg FBD137CD-35E0-4D69-8647-27087BE59A3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Wire brush it down thoroughly, then wipe with a clean rag. Then wipe it down with alcohol. I would use Stove Brite stove paint instead. Apply in 3 light coats.

Note that if the stove has had stove polish applied, the paint may not bond well without sandblasting first.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Wire brush it down thoroughly, then wipe with a clean rag. Then wipe it down with alcohol. I would use Stove Brite stove paint instead. Apply in 3 light coats.

Note that if the stove has had stove polish applied, the paint may not bond well without sandblasting first.
thats a lot of alcohol (absolut?)! how about mineral spirits? no stove polish.

Ha, i'm sure he didnt mean for you to use drinkin alcohol, that has a more important function. He probably meant denatured alcohol, or you can use any solvent like paint thinner/mineral spirits as you thought. I've painted a couple stoves and BBQ smokers with rustoleum and although not the best, it does a decent job.

That cleaned up nicely. It looks great. A wire brush wheel could make the griddle top shine again too.