1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Flat screen TVs

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Gary_602z, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    If it's the screen door effect, perhaps you are referring to the old projector TVs, because projection systems were more prone to door screen,effect, also known as fixed-pattern noise (FPN). But that effect isn't just horizontal lines, it also made up vertical and horizontal fine lines separating the pixels, which was kind of what I was referring to in my last post about pixel resolution. And this was something that plasma screens were touted to be better at eliminating years ago, but LCD and of course the newer LED technology has caught up to.
    But yes, I know what it is, and you can see it in any screen if you get close enough, but have never noticed it any worse in plasma TVs. I use to have an older projector that had it fairly pronounced, but it was only 640x480 resolution.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    No, the screen door effect is not scan lines, it's the undesirable black space between pixels, both vertical on horizontal. I see it right away on my friend's big LED Samsung, but only when closer than about 6' to the screen.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I replaced my 6 yr old 50" Vizio LCd (1080p 60 hz) T.V. this weekend with a 60" Sharp Aquos LED 240hz 3D Smart TV with Quattron..

The difference in 6 yrs of Technology is amazing!! The Sharp is really easy to set up and has a "Store" or "Home" setting (brighter in store mode because of light, but not recommended to run it normally). The quality in picture is amazing and the Smart TV thing is a pretty nice feature.

There is one other T.V. I looked long and hard at. The Samsung 8000 series. The Sharp has a Spectacular picture, the 8000 series Samsung has an Phenomenal picture. But... The price tag was about $500 more (for the 55").

The Vizio will now go to our bedroom and the Sharp resides on the wall (also the 1st TV I wall mounted. Was very easy and straightforward)

Good luck
    ScotO likes this.
  4. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Im guessing that i can see the plasma lines at 3-5 Ft away.If it were closer it would not be a problem.
  5. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    I've had a 40 inch Samsung for about 4 years now and we love it. I replaced a 10 year old 36" Sony Wega XBR withe the samsung 540 series which is only a 60Hz unit and since I don't watch sports even on movies I don't see a blur problem nor do I see any screen door effects since we sit at an optimal viewing distance.

I recommend setting up your system with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1356735669&sr=1-2&keywords=video essentials

It helps a lot for watching movies.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  7. HeatsTwice

HeatsTwice Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Santa Rosa, California
    Samsung is having a 40% off 60" screen TVs and a bunch of other models.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs...282687&MKM_MID=1396083&CID=eml-ce-tv-0113-277

other 40% off deals:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs...282687&MKM_MID=1396083&CID=eml-ce-tv-0113-277

Funny story:

I was dropping my daughter off at the local J.C.. When I came back to my truck, someone had dumped a Samsung 57" TV in a cardboard box in the back of my truck. I thought, "Dang, now I have to recycle it, instead of the guy who dumped it there."

So I took it to a local TV shop and figured, that they would just take it off my hands since they probably recycle lots of TVs. They said are you sure it doesn't work? Duh, why would someone dump it in the back of my truck if it worked? So they plugged it in and sure enough, it did not work. So they checked the model number and found that the dang thing was under warrenty and that I could get it fixed for free. 4 hours later, I had a good looking new 57" Hi Res LCD in my living room. 100% off is better than 40% off.
    DexterDay likes this.
  8. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Saw a 50" Toshiba LED for $550 recently