Floating Bluestone in stacked stone wall or making a non combustible floating shelf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lukycharns

Apr 1, 2023
Philadephia
Hi. I‘m new to this page.

I’m looking to place a gas insert into my exitsing wood burning firebox. I have a tv hanging above the fire place. I was told that we need to have a shelf or heat deflector above the insert. It needs to be avnon combustible material due to the spacing of the tv and top of the gas insert.

I’m doing this very low budget and would like to know how to either float a piece of bluestone in the center of new ledger tile wall or how to make a non combustible floating shelf.

Ideally the depth of the shelf will be 6-8” out of the wall and approximately 2” thick and 55” long.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

The stone guy did a limestone cap above my culture stone walls. It about 4", I think he drilled a few holes in the limestone, in the back. He may have put screws in the studs and epoxy in the holes. He had boards holding it up for days till it dries.