Flood coming, anyone have experience with furnaces flooding?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Carmack

Nov 18, 2015
Ripley TN
We live in the Mississippi River floodplain, and if anyone is following news of the Ohio/Mississippi river valley, the water is rising. We are looking at a crest that will have water 4-6 ft deep in my yard. All forklifts in the area are already busy or hauled out. We have decided to leave it in place, and remove all electrics from it once the water is touching the base. Before that point it'll be running. Earth says it should be alright, but I'm curious has anyone here experienced flooding, and if so, how well did the insulation hold up, did you have to rework anything??

We live in the Mississippi River floodplain, and if anyone is following news of the Ohio/Mississippi river valley, the water is rising. We are looking at a crest that will have water 4-6 ft deep in my yard. All forklifts in the area are already busy or hauled out. We have decided to leave it in place, and remove all electrics from it once the water is touching the base. Before that point it'll be running. Earth says it should be alright, but I'm curious has anyone here experienced flooding, and if so, how well did the insulation hold up, did you have to rework anything??

==============================================================================================

A couple of things to consider Josh;

Any batt insulation on the sides and front is doomed.
You will have to decide whether to strip it now or strip it later
to paraphrase the purolator filter guy.

Dont forget one major thing that stink water is going to
get in the fire box and ash pit too-yes it will.

And your going to have to drain the water out and wash
the inside of the firebox with hot water and Dawn Dish Soap
in a hose coupled garden sprayer.

If you have an ash pit basket/drawer your going to have to get
it out of there quick and I would recommend that you cut the
power to the boiler and stop burning today.

If there are simple grates in the boiler they should be removed
also and all the ash removed andthen vacuumed out of the ash pit
as the chemical reaction with the swamp water wil not be pretty.

If it were me:

I would pay extra for a boom truck or forklift to move it No Matter What and be sure to seal off the
the electrical cables in an explosion proof box as that is the only and I repeat only
way you will keep them safe and dry.

Your circulator or circulators are another issue as they are not wired as an explosion
proof fixture nor are they ment for submersible service and if you do not remove the
pump(s) you can plan on replacing them rather than letting them dry out-not gonna happen.

You also need to plug the Pex pipe and hope the tubing its in will not take in water as thats
death to the pipe run.

As far as the electrics are concerned thats also a hot mess. see if you can purchase an explosion proof
panel box small enough for the wiring and follow the instructions completely. If you do not your screwed.

After this is all over your going to have to decide whether you can afford to have crushed bank run gravel
brought in and then seeded with good top soil and grass to to make an island for your boiler and wood supply.

Better to do it now as I can tell you that the Great Lakes are filling up and its not even February 1st.

You'll have to decide when to give up and leave. The floodwaters also do fun things with your septic system, well, and your house. Deal with the aftermath when you return.

deal with the boiler stuff later. there are more important things you're going to have to save. unplug it, and let it go. plan on replacing the electronics (pumps, aqua stats) and insulation later. you're probably going to be buying a pressure washer when you get home anyway.
For What it's worth, Good luck.

Back in a past life I used to service apartment sized electric boilers. These ran from 220 volt up to 600 volt. I was always surprised to see domestic potable water pouring out of the side of the casing of a 440 volt unit that was STILL OPERATING!. It all depends on what the water has dissolved in it. Solid state controls that have been submerged are often fine when they dry out, if they are well rinsed with clean water before drying. Circulating pumps would get sprayed or submerged and yet when dry they just started and ran fine.
If an insurance company was involved none of the above applied unless we just needed to restore service until new parts could be ordered......

Haven't you ever driven a truck into water so deep that the engine was submerged? the alternators kept working for me.

Floods gone, for the most part. At crest water was 2 feet deep above the pad. We pulled the furnace. Original predictions would have put it almost exactly 6 feet deep over the pad. My neighbor still had his tractor with improvised forklift mast on the three point. He tossed it on the goose neck for me last minute. The last load we hauled out we drove through water a foot deep getting out. When water is approximately 3" deep in the basement (technically the ground floor so as to elevate the living space above the 100 year flood record.) it is too deep to evacuate any more due to the lowest water crossing being about 3 feet deep with a very strong current.. My little abode here in the river valley is subject to irregular flooding. 2011 had 10' of water in the yard. 2008 was very similar to this one with about 1.5' of water. While I'm aware that most electric equipment will survive some flooding' it's different when the flood stays for several days or even weeks. The electrics didn't concern me because i was going to pull those off anyway. My main concern was insulation degradation. As far as driving in it, we drive through with the deepest crossing pushing water inside the doors of my 1ton diesel. At crest the lowest crossing before our house was about 5 feet deep. We have been driving through water since Sunday with Sunday being about 3 feet deep.It has dropped since then. As of tonight with the lowest point before my house being a couple inches deep. My speedometer still is not acting right, The regulator is also intermittently overcharging and the interior lights won't cutoff. If it were a gas burner instead of an old mechanical IDI engine I'm sure it would have more issues as the current and truck motion can sometimes force water over the hood when it is actually only three feet deep. If we would stop in the current the upstream side would pile up high enough to touch the mirror brackets. But it's home we knew about water before we bought the place, and while backwater makes things much less convenient, as for several days the only was to town included 30 minutes to an hour in the a boat. We only left for two nights because our boat isn't big enough to safely hual all the kids to meet the school bus on high ground.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hoping you get back to normal soon. You mentioned your concern about insulation. If you are doing any replacing I believe rock wool resists water damage much better. Does not mildew or deteriorate. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.