Flooded hot air gas furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maineiak

Jan 1, 2016
Maine
Hi I was wondering if I could get some opinions here. My sister in -law had a new gas ducted hot air furnace installed two months ago. Her cellar flooded 3/4 up the furnace. The water is drained out of the cellar now there is a dehumidifier running to dry things up. The power was shut off before it flooded and is still off. The company that installed it says she needs a new furnace as it would be cheaper to replace it than fix it. My feelings are I would try to look in the panels and check for moisture and if all looks good give it a try. I’m thinking the worst that could happen is it wouldn’t start. Of course I would be ready at the breaker to shut power if there was a problem. What do you think?

Gas valves, regulators, etc. that have been exposed to flooding shouldn't be used. They can corrode, stick, leak, hydraulic lock, etc. And of course, electrical items that have been drenched are obviously quite suspect. I'm not one who usually abides by all the warning labels, but I think you are treading on some very hazardous ground here. A gas malfunction can spread your house over the surrounding block in small pieces! Is it worth that risk?

Looking at my gas furnace, I can't imagine that it would work again if it got seriously wet anyway. In the unlikely event it did work, how long would it take to have confidence that it's not going to do something homicidal as the result of corrosion? Personally, I'd research what should be replaced and either overhaul it myself, or replace the unit.

Gas valves, regulators, etc. that have been exposed to flooding shouldn't be used. They can corrode, stick, leak, hydraulic lock, etc. And of course, electrical items that have been drenched are obviously quite suspect. I'm not one who usually abides by all the warning labels, but I think you are treading on some very hazardous ground here. A gas malfunction can spread your house over the surrounding block in small pieces! Is it worth that risk?

Looking at my gas furnace, I can't imagine that it would work again if it got seriously wet anyway. In the unlikely event it did work, how long would it take to have confidence that it's not going to do something homicidal as the result of corrosion? Personally, I'd research what should be replaced and either overhaul it myself, or replace the unit.
I hear you. I forgot to mention it is propane but that still doesn’t change the outcome. Thank you for your input.

Bad time of year for this to happen.

I had a HVAC tech reconnect something wrong and fry all the low voltage stuff in a furnace. The parts needing to be replaced were expensive. It was in a rental I was trying to sell. I didn’t want to spend money.

A new Goodman 80,000btu, 80% efficient was put in for $2595. This was back in August. I’m sure the install companies are busier now and prices went up, but it shouldn’t be too hard to put one of these in.

I installed a boiler in my house and that wasn’t too bad.

Bad time of year for this to happen.

I had a HVAC tech reconnect something wrong and fry all the low voltage stuff in a furnace. The parts needing to be replaced were expensive. It was in a rental I was trying to sell. I didn’t want to spend money.

A new Goodman 80,000btu, 80% efficient was put in for $2595. This was back in August. I’m sure the install companies are busier now and prices went up, but it shouldn’t be too hard to put one of these in.

I installed a boiler in my house and that wasn’t too bad.
I feel bad for her. I’m going to be leaving for the winter in a few days. I would think it would be pretty easy to unbolt the old one and slide in the new one. Of course you have to leave the gas connection for them. I’ve been convinced to not try it. Thanks for all you guys help.

It’s not hard to make, and check the gas connection, but you shouldn’t do it if you don’t feel comfortable.

ins. wise it might be covered unless she is in a flood zone to start with. got to read policy closely ( if she has one ). Specific ins for flood damage is hard to come by and pricey as all get out. Been there done that.