1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

floor protection for Jotul F600 Firelight?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by fulksb, Sep 19, 2013.

1. fulksb

fulksb New Member

Can someone please clear this up for me once and for all?

I am preparing to build hearth for new Jotul F600 Firelight. I am somewhat confused by the floor protection requirement in the product manual. The wording does not specify an R-value, but rather states that I need
    "noncombustible material for protection from radiant heat, sparks, and embers."
    The best I can tell, after searching this forum, is that this wording means I simply need to create the non-combustible floor (slate tile is my preference) with no need to worry about R-Value from products such as Durock. Please help me feel confident on this decision...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Sounds like you have it figured out. Non-combustible is what you need.

I would still suggest putting down durock before the tile, not so much for the stove's requirement but for the tile's safety. Nothing more disappointing than a cracked tile.

Also, when building a hearth, it never hurts to go a bit 'big'. It may be 20 years down the road, but if you do it a little 'heavy' now, and decide to replace the stove someday, no reason not to have a hearth that could handle a variety of things that may have a slightly bigger requirement.

pen
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    You've got it . . . but I would personally recommend the Durock as well.

A) A little extra protection never hurts and gives a lot of peace of mind for just a little bit extra work.
    B) As Pen mentioned it will help prevent any flexing of the slate.
    C) Down the road if you some day elect to get a woodstove that has a R value you might luck out and have the R-value in your hearth already . . . although this reason may be a bit weak admittedly since the R value is very dependent on the stove manufacturer

For the record, I too went with slate . . . two layers of plywood, layer of Durock and slate tile. No cracking. No issues. I just clean it and apply some sealant every Fall.
  4. Nick Mystic

Nick Mystic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    I have a Jotul F600 sitting on our brick hearth extension and I can tell you that there is very little heat coming out from the bottom of the stove. You have an ash pan down there and then a heat shield, so you can put your hand on the hearth under the stove and it's barely warm.
  5. fulksb

fulksb New Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your helpful replies!