Floor Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esh21167

Dec 27, 2007
Central PA
I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Napolean 1401 insert but have one slight concern. My existing hearth is only 13" from the fireplace front. With the insert installed there will only be about 4-5 inches of hearth in front of the insert. The hearth is flush with the hardwood floor, not raised. The insert manual doesn't list an R value, just states that there needs to be 16" of non combustible material in front.

Is that distance for protection from heat from the insert or just for sparks and log rollout?

I was reading another thread about using a piece of stoveboard on the floor. Are there any opinions about using just the stoveboard?

We can live with that because in the off season, it can be stored and give a little more floor space back to the room. I just want to be sure that would be enough protection. Local dealers are giving me mixed responses. None have said no, some have said that's fine, and some have steered me toward a 1" to 1 1/2" thick extension (I think because they sell them).

Any insight or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

18 inches is the national fire code wood appliance fount door to combustibles. The insulation instructions may say 16, if the local building inspector wants 18 you better have 18 to pass. Its that way because to heat hits the floor through the glass. They are UL tested that way. The only way to install then is to code the way he reads it.

Its really for your safety and those in your home. Any thing you decide on or read here are only ideas to ask your building inspector about. You need to know what he will pass, run you plan past him first, find out what he wants, then buy and install.

Yes, there are UL rated stoveboards that are 16 or 18" by 48" that should do the job. You should slightly overlap your existing hearth with it, and fasten it so it cannot be kicked out of the way easily (small screw and bracket - or silicone, which can be removed easily)....

Example of thin hearth board.....
http://www.americanchimneysweeps.net/stoveboards.black.htm

Attachments

• boards.jpg
    boards.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 419
do you think you could paint these, so they were not black and does anyone know how thick/high they are? Wondering if they are going to pose a tripping hazard...........
Looking for something cheap, safe and looks good. It will be on a hard wood floor.

I had the same problem with less than 18" in front and put in a row of tiles.I thought about a fire resistant hearth rug but heard its a no no!so i thought i would do it right.My dad is getting a insert installed soon and will have the same problem!I guess he will have a tile job for me soon.
NOTE! Items near stove moved when stove is in use.

Attachments

• IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 284
that is almost exactly how my setup looks! Did you have to put anything under the tile for additional R factor, or just as is. My hearth is 14 inches up, looking about your same distance from floor and I am 8 inches short on the front end. Those tiles look to be 12", correct??? Wood trim around the edges? Thanks!

woodsie8 said:
that is almost exactly how my setup looks! Did you have to put anything under the tile for additional R factor, or just as is. My hearth is 14 inches up, looking about your same distance from floor and I am 8 inches short on the front end. Those tiles look to be 12", correct??? Wood trim around the edges? Thanks!

Yes! These tiles are heavy duty ceramic 12*12 tiles.!I had to do some patchwork before the tiles went down.Just used tile adhesive spread thick and tiles on top with the grout in the spaces.The trim i used is T trim which snaps into a channel placed on the floor.Note! The trim isn't cheap!! ran me about $18 for around a 4ft piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.