Q&A floor protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Great web site, i was wondering if you had any ideas on floor protection for my new wood stove.the model i purchased calls for a floor protector with a k factor of .43 and would like to make my own instead of shelling out 200 bucks. the numbers i have on concrete board are way higher than .43 k any advice would be a great help.

Answer:

Jason, a great insulation factor can be obtained by using a sheet of metal (sheet metal) on the floor covered by a double layer of durarock/wonderboard.

This will suffice with virtually all stoves that have a leg height of 5-6" or more.

It's crazy for the manuals to give a K factor. How is the average contractor or homeowner going to translate that? Many materials do not even publish ratings, let alone combined ratings (sheet metal and cement board).

In any case, the above should take care of the vast majority of installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.