1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Flooring and big dogs

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by jeff_t, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ozzy73

ozzy73 Member

Loc:
    ON, Canada
    We have 2 labs @ 75lbs. Floor has not scratches. The only thing I recommend is get a laminate with tight seams.
    Slober, puke etc... tend s to get stuck in the grooves and I have to scrape it out.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wooden Head

Wooden Head Member

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Take a look on Lumber Liquidators website. Lookup Janka Rating chart. It will give you the hardness of various woods.

Have had dogs and hardwood floors for over 25 years without a problem, other than normal wear. I've caused more dents (dropping heavy objects) and scratches (pushing things across the floor) than the dogs have caused.

Have had carpet and hardwood and would never go back to carpet. Hardwood is much easier to maintain and clean.
  3. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    We decided to go with a cheap (relatively) carpet. The big dogs will be seven in a couple of weeks, which is getting up there in mastiff years :(. We'll see what happens after that.
  4. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    There are laminates that have texture and aren't glossy. We looked at them for our old house which will be a rental. We're still trying to decide what to do. It has original hard woods but there is a spot that needs patched because there was an old in floor heater there. People look at laminate as "cheap" but it seems most people feel it holds up better to scratching. Here we have the original wood in most rooms, and reclaimed garage sheathing in the living room. All except the bedroom (painted) are oiled (BLO and Turpentine, and tung oil for touch up). There's already wear, and we're happy with it-it's character. Everyone comments on the living room floor, and that's actually pretty rough in some spots. But it's all character. I wish it wasn't so dark though-I don't know why ANYONE would want a dark floor, they get sooooo dirty looking so easily.