Flow Control...Reverse AFTER Install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
I'm thinking about redoing a bit of my plumbing and I realized a flow control valve I have installed will need to be reversed so it allows flow in the opposite direction from its current configuration.

Is it possible to remove the valve assembly and re-install it "backwards" to reverse the flow control direction?

This would save me from having to hack more pipes and re-solder.

The control is a Bell and Gossett like this one:
http://www.pexsupply.com/Bell-Gossett-107034-3-4-Threaded-Straight-Angle-Flow-Control-5595000-p

The manual shows the item can be disassembled for service, and can even be bypassed to allow gravity flow, without removing it from the system.

ac

Short answer (as you already suspect) is no.

The bottom inlet port and the side inlet port come together into a lower chamber with a hole in the top.

On the other side of the hole is another chamber that leads to the exit port. There's a metal disk like a checker or a stack of quarters that sits on top of the hole coming up from the lower chamber.

If water wants to flow forward it has to have enough pressure to lift the metal disk.

If water wants to flow the wrong way it can't because the pressure presses the disk even tighter against its seat.

Swinging the do-hickey lifts the metal disk and opens the valve for free flow in either direction.

So all you can do is take the guts out and put them back in, you can't turn the guts around because it's basically just a disk sitting there.

Short answer (as you already suspect) is no.

The bottom inlet port and the side inlet port come together into a lower chamber with a hole in the top.

On the other side of the hole is another chamber that leads to the exit port. There's a metal disk like a checker or a stack of quarters that sits on top of the hole coming up from the lower chamber.

If water wants to flow forward it has to have enough pressure to lift the metal disk.

If water wants to flow the wrong way it can't because the pressure presses the disk even tighter against its seat.

Swinging the do-hickey lifts the metal disk and opens the valve for free flow in either direction.

So all you can do is take the guts out and put them back in, you can't turn the guts around because it's basically just a disk sitting there.

Thanks for explaining that. Of course I knew the answer, but I just needed the confirmation from someone who had it apart.

I looked at it again tonight. I am lucky there is a union in a decent spot. If I cut the copper and add in a 2nd union I can easily take this piece out and flip it around for experimenting.

ac

If it's in copper, can you just cut it out, flip it, and sweat in two coupelings? Another thing I love about copper pipe!

TS

If it's in copper, can you just cut it out, flip it, and sweat in two coupelings? Another thing I love about copper pipe!

TS

TS:

I could, but instead of doing that and risking a bad solder joint on used fittings/pipe I can solder in a 2nd union and be able to mess around with it all I want.

Did 3/4" copper unions get ridiculously expensive?

ac

Did 3/4" copper unions get ridiculously expensive?

ac

No they are not bad, I just don't like unions period that's all. Just another potential leak, a sweat/brazed copper joint is 100% metal, oxygen tight and will never fail like a mechanical joint can.

This is just me, I'm not asking you to think the same.

TS

No they are not bad, I just don't like unions period that's all. Just another potential leak, a sweat/brazed copper joint is 100% metal, oxygen tight and will never fail like a mechanical joint can.

This is just me, I'm not asking you to think the same.

TS

Yeah...a very valid point.

I just realized I have another option. I have a spare 007 with IFC. For my experiment I think I can put the current flow check in "bypass" by turning the lever and then replace the current 007 with my spare with IFC.

The IFC should do the same thing as the separate flow check would.

ac

There ya go, and it won't cost you a thing!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.