Flue cleaned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Oslo heats my home

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2010
South Shore, MA
Last year the chimney company I use climbed the roof and cleaned the flue the traditional way. This year they did everything from the floor the stove is on by using this snake looking device that has a poly brush on the end. They went around the 'T' and up the flue to the cap, tapped the cap and came back down while the Vacuum ran. I was impressed. They inspected the stove next and cleaned the single walled pipe outside. Clean bill of health!!

The only suggestion he made while he was here, he spoke my about my single walled stovepipe. I have a true 90 deg angle at the top of my run towards the thimble, not the style of pipe that twists/spins into place. He told me that the 90 deg (typical) pipe that twists into place will have a better upflow to through 'T' than what I have, stating that mine is too restrictive. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I don't think that 1 90 degree elbow would make a lot of difference unless you have a short chimney or he thought it was catching a lot of creosote. How much creosote did they vacuume out?

Todd said:
I don't think that 1 90 degree elbow would make a lot of difference unless you have a short chimney or he thought it was catching a lot of creosote. How much creosote did they vacuume out?
There was very little creosote that was removed. His concern was the smoke and gas flow going up and out. I have a fairly good pipe run and always get a good draft. He seemed to center the concern on the nonrounded 90 maybe thinking the rounded style would be more efficient. I'm not so sure that would make that much of a difference with a good draft.

Sounds like it's working great, I wouldn't change it. Besides you could argue that an adjustable 90 can reduce draft just as much because it's not air tight and sucks air in through the seams which reduces draft and forms creosote.

So your saying it is a square 90 rather than a rounded 90. In that case he is aimed in the correct direction. I'm not sure of the true gain but he is correct in saying that a radius would flow better than a squared corner. However if you have an awesome draft it might not be that big of a deal.

RNLA said:
So your saying it is a square 90 rather than a rounded 90. In that case he is aimed in the correct direction. I'm not sure of the true gain but he is correct in saying that a radius would flow better than a squared corner. However if you have an awesome draft it might not be that big of a deal.

I do have a good draft, never had a problem with it. The Chimney fella told me that changing out the pipe the way I described would make the flow better and dramatically increase the performance of the stove. I'm kinda skeptical on one hand, maybe it's a line to get a little more work but on the other I can see the radius working in the benefit of the exiting gases and smoke...enough to make a difference though?? I dunno...

I would not worry about the draft especially considering what you got for cleaning. I just make sure to seal the joints and make sure you have 3 screws in there. Also, the horizontal needs 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal.

I'm sitting here wondering how much it would cost to make the change? I assume two 45's is not practical as well.

If it is not broken, then why try to fix it?

Backwoods Savage said:

If it was me and it was less than $100, I would seek improvement. Were just talking about 1 elbow right? I suspect the sweep was offering sincere advice.

There is a point of diminishing returns and I do understand that.

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, I totally understand the phrase, but if it aint broke and can maybe work better should I consider it?

I have never met this sweep before and I understand they will look for something to drum up additional business
while they are there. I wasn't so sure something as simple a pipe radius would improve exhaust flow over a sharp 90.

Is there anything out there that can support this?

Status
Not open for further replies.