Flue damper height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
I've just bought a flue damper, and was wondering at what height on the flue it should be installed at. I'm thinking about 6" above the flue collar. Any advice/suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Is this double wall or single wall? If single-wall I like it a bit higher so that the handle doesn't get too hot and there is a little less obstruction right off of the stove. Our last one was at about 18".

I have double wall and it sits 6 or so inches above the collar.

Shawn

Thanks. It is single wall black stove pipe. Is about 12" good?

hemlock said:
Thanks. It is single wall black stove pipe. Is about 12" good?

That's where mine is.

pen

My ICC Excel instructions specify a height for safety.

Attachments

• damper.jpg
    damper.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 12,504
Interesting, the ICC height is based on concerns about children touching the damper. That's the first time I have heard of that concern. I notice they don't mention the stove controls which would be much more accessible to a child. My suspicion is that section was guided by an attorney. FWIW, Simpson's DVL damper goes in a 6" section that connects to the flue collar.

On one stove it is 6" off the stove, the other is about 24" above the stove.

I guess as long as it's easily reachable and doesn't create a safety hazard trying to reach it by leaning up against the stove to adjust it ...

It makes sense if you can get a lever out of a childs hands. Without those instructions I would never even thought about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.