1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. lethal dose

lethal dose Member

Loc:
    eastern ohio
    ok, i have a us stove company 1100. WAS going to go single wall inside with a heat shield but decided to go double wall dvl instead. maybe i'm missing it somewhere but do i HAVE to have a flue damper? my local dealer sold me a stove adapter, telescoping vertical rise, 90 degree and 24 inch horizontal run. no flue damper. he doesn't sell us stoves but said that newer stoves don't need a damper. true? thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    not sure if they NEED one, i don't seem to recall one mentioned in the manual in the installation. However, I have one on each of my single wall stove pipes, coming out of the stoves to double wall thimbul. I like the extra burn control it gives. Plus, its an added safety factor as you can shut down the fire more in case of a problem. Not sure why your dealer sold you double wall coming out of the stove. Single wall gives extra heat. You don't need double wall till you get ready to go through the wall/cealing.
    jmho

cass
  3. Mad Tom

Mad Tom Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    Most likely not. Unless your stove is drafting to much. You will know if you can't control your fire. A Dealer told me the same thing.