Flue for tarm help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think you would want a "T", not an elbow. Put a "T" on with a cap on the bottom, and then you can cleanout ash from that point. Is there a reason it has to be an elbow?

A T does make more sense for the cleanout. Hww about flow though? If it is a T then the next piece of pipe going up will be about 3 feet.. then I need to use a 90 there to connect to the chimney. Will the T restrict flow?

What you are describing seems like a very typical setup. Mine goes out to a T and then straight up thru the roof. Many others go out thru a T, up and then use an elbow to get into a masonry or other type of chimney.

I use a 90* elbow right off the back of my Tarm, then straight up 22' through the roof. For cleaning I remove the elbow + black stove pipe from the Tarm to the ceiling. Easy and quick to put back on. Works perfectly.

I'm planning to use a 90 elbow on the back of my Econoburn--

-- but, I plan to use a rigid "long sweep" elbow, which, because of the long radius/ gradual transition introduces lot less turbulence and friction for the combustion gases than a "regular" elbow (the kind you can fiddle with to adjust angles) or a Tee would.

Flow through a tee, used as an elbow, isn't pretty, although if you have a chimney that draws well, and a short run from the boiler to the chimney, that may be less of a concern

I found out some of these things the hard way from an earlier incarnation of an install of the wood hot air furnace that the Econoburn is superseding

Trevor. The install is 95 percent complete for my Tarm 40. All that is left is the electrician to do his thing and for me to hook up the black pipe. I am told by someone that it may be best for me to use a T directly off the Tarm so that I will have a place to do a cleanout. Then up and at a steep angle... ( 3 ft ) and then a elbow to go out to the SS chimney. I am so excited for the first burn... maybe tomorrow. However... it is supposed to be 60 here.... I guess just open up all the doors and windows and turn up the thermostats?.. maybe run my hot water a bunch too?... as i have a Indirect Hot water tank that runs off a zone? This will be the first burn to test the plumbing and controls. I have 7 cord of hardwood... 2 cord of real dry pine... all waiting to enter the mouth of Tarm..... I keep imagining the warmth in the middle of winter..... Grokking in my house...

Grok Now there's a term I haven't heard in a long while.
Keep us posted on your progress. I've been on the pohone daily withthe folks at Tarm (Bioheat). Do botho f your doors close tightly? My loading door would no close, turns out they got a bunch of casting that had some interferance. There is a technical bulletin on how to fix it. One more thing to fix before I can even start!!

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.