1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Flue Question

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Seasoned Oak, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I have a wood stove that likes a good draft to function properly. IT has a 6" pipe. My chimney is 12" square. Does a larger chimney REDUCE The draft or increase it. How can i mate this stove to this chimney? A chimney inside a chimney possibly? Any ideas? Chimney is about 25Ft high above the stove.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line

You need to install a 6" flue liner into the old flue, just like your suspected. Large flues will have much greater flue gas capacity, but will be sluggish and cool with a stove designed for a smaller flue. That will reduce your actual draft by a considerable amount. In your case, it would be totally unsafe to use that flue without a liner. Too much difference in area.
  3. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    Any suggestions how to install a 6" inside a 12" THe 12" has a liner but its still 12" I would think a regular flue pipe would rust out in summer when not in use (black iron or galvanized) ALso i would like to hook up more than 1 stove to this flue so if i could section it some way. All my stoves have a 6" pipe. I already have longwood wood stove with a 6" flue pipe hooked up to this flue and it works fine. but its not a downdraft stove like the harman Tl-300 that i want to use.
  4. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    No, you need a 6" metal flue liner specifically made for the purpose. I don't know that much about the options, so I won't give suggestions, but you'll get a lot more responses if you re-post in the "Hearth Room" forum instead of the "Wood Shed".