Flue repairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

280rem

Oct 25, 2022
Missouri
Have 2 fireplaces with tile flues that had flue fires and need repair. Had 2 guys give bids to install SS liner. The guy I wanted to go with is now turning down the job over steepness of my METAL roof, the other was well over my budget. A 3rd guy came and quoted doing a heatshield ceramic coating liner. The guy that turned down installing the SS after his bid, recommended not going with a ceramic liner, stating they can crack in the future if there is future new cracking in my tiles. He said the main fireplace is likely to have future flue fires with its closed door system and very long chimney length, and a heatshield liner wouldn’t be warrentied after a flue fire. Just trying to get some insight here to help separate sales hype from reality. Thanks

Have 2 fireplaces with tile flues that had flue fires and need repair. Had 2 guys give bids to install SS liner. The guy I wanted to go with is now turning down the job over steepness of my METAL roof, the other was well over my budget. A 3rd guy came and quoted doing a heatshield ceramic coating liner. The guy that turned down installing the SS after his bid, recommended not going with a ceramic liner, stating they can crack in the future if there is future new cracking in my tiles. He said the main fireplace is likely to have future flue fires with its closed door system and very long chimney length, and a heatshield liner wouldn’t be warrentied after a flue fire. Just trying to get some insight here to help separate sales hype from reality. Thanks
I would not recommend heat shield either. It is a very temporary solution

Reactions: 280rem
I would not recommend heat shield either. It is a very temporary solution
Wow! 10k + and it wouldn’t be a long term fix!!?! The guy proposing this route touted a lifetime warranty and sure seemed to indicate I would never have to repair again.

My personal 2nd idea. For all the proposed repairs expenses I could install an outdoor wood boiler and to heck with the fireplaces and the heat pump (the primary heat source now)!

Wow! 10k + and it wouldn’t be a long term fix!!?! The guy proposing this route touted a lifetime warranty and sure seemed to indicate I would never have to repair again.

My personal 2nd idea. For all the proposed repairs expenses I could install an outdoor wood boiler and to heck with the fireplaces and the heat pump (the primary heat source now)!
Or install an insert and 6" liner. Probably not to much more money than lining for an open fireplace and you will actually get heat

Reactions: EbS-P and 280rem
Or install an insert and 6" liner. Probably not to much more money than lining for an open fireplace and you will actually get heat
Checking into that. I’m thinking that would be the best solution for the smaller fireplace. The other has a New Aire firebox setup that has doors inside and outside, it’s 3’ through from door to door, not sure about that. I’m going to call New Aire tomorrow, they are actually very close to me. I did contact the guy that bid doing the heatshield lining, I grilled him with a bunch of questions. He still maintains his stance that the heatshield is the best and most economical solution for that fireplace and with proper maintenance will last forever and with yearly service by him will have warranty for life. In his bid includes lots of masonry restoration and waterproofing essential slightly more than the heatshield lining. Without that no warranty, with it, I’ll have a watertight system that will last, he says.

I did a DIY liner and insert install. Not the most difficult project I’ve tacked.

What size is the flue where you would want the insert?

Edit… new aire manual It’s prefabricated Masonry fireplace. http://www.newaire.com/install-manual.html

Last edited:
Checking into that. I’m thinking that would be the best solution for the smaller fireplace. The other has a New Aire firebox setup that has doors inside and outside, it’s 3’ through from door to door, not sure about that. I’m going to call New Aire tomorrow, they are actually very close to me. I did contact the guy that bid doing the heatshield lining, I grilled him with a bunch of questions. He still maintains his stance that the heatshield is the best and most economical solution for that fireplace and with proper maintenance will last forever and with yearly service by him will have warranty for life. In his bid includes lots of masonry restoration and waterproofing essential slightly more than the heatshield lining. Without that no warranty, with it, I’ll have a watertight system that will last, he says.
Ask him exactly what the cost is going to be for all the maintenance required to maintain the warranty. What does the warranty cover? And what do warranty repairs cost?

Ask him exactly what the cost is going to be for all the maintenance required to maintain the warranty. What does the warranty cover? And what do warranty repairs cost?
He said it would require a yearly $250 cleaning and inspection call. With that if there is a failure then heatshield would cover the costs of all repairing. So it sounded like if you skip a years service warranty is voided and your on your own. I should inquire of warranty on his masonry repairs as well to now that I think of it. I have an itemized bid from him that details out everything. My wife who use to do commercial painting sure questions his $1500 per each chimney for erecting scaffolding though

He said it would require a yearly $250 cleaning and inspection call. With that if there is a failure then heatshield would cover the costs of all repairing. So it sounded like if you skip a years service warranty is voided and your on your own. I should inquire of warranty on his masonry repairs as well to now that I think of it. I have an itemized bid from him that details out everything. My wife who use to do commercial painting sure questions his $1500 per each chimney for erecting scaffolding though
How often will it need resealed to maintain warranty? Redo the crown coat I am sure he is selling you as well?

Would it be allowed to install an insert in the New Aire masonry system fireplace??

Would it be allowed to install an insert in the New Aire masonry system fireplace??
I have no idea that would be a question for the manufacturer of that fireplace

Reactions: EbS-P
I’ll be getting in touch with new Aire today. I’ll bet they can advise some best course of actions. I bought the house 4 years ago, and have been completely enjoying their wonderful product. It wasn’t till the heatshield guy mentioned that was a new Aire unit that I realized what it was. I googled them last night and it’s actually manufactured 30 mins away. It’s an amazing unit in my opinion. Enormous firebox (3 foot through), with a very effective blower system.

Reactions: EbS-P
How often will it need resealed to maintain warranty? Redo the crown coat I am sure he is selling you as well?
He has rebuild crown at $1500, and chimney saver( which appears to be waterproofing) at $1500 on the big chimney. Are these legit items?

He has rebuild crown at $1500, and chimney saver( which appears to be waterproofing) at $1500 on the big chimney. Are these legit items?
It depends how he wants to rebuild the crown. If he actually pours a crown that is a reasonable price. Actually probably to low. But I would bet by the fact that he is just throwing the saver system catalog at your chimney he means coating the crown with their sealer. And why does the chimney need waterproofing? What is it constructed from? Does it have cracks in the mortar?

If the waterproofing is required for the warranty is that required to be redone at the specified intervals of 5 to 7 years?

The woman at New Aire, said it’s very likely the open unit is there circulator unit. She said they make doors for it. She recommended not jumping on doing the heatshield and check with some of their recommended service/installation people about evaluating and repairing my units the best way. She referred me to some fireplace stores if I choose to go the insert route but said getting doors for it should be considered as well.

It depends how he wants to rebuild the crown. If he actually pours a crown that is a reasonable price. Actually probably to low. But I would bet by the fact that he is just throwing the saver system catalog at your chimney he means coating the crown with their sealer. And why does the chimney need waterproofing? What is it constructed from? Does it have cracks in the mortar?

If the waterproofing is required for the warranty is that required to be redone at the specified intervals of 5 to 7 years?
It states apply concrete overlay on existing mortar wash. There is $2500 for tuck pointing. $650 for a cap, $1500 for erecting scaffolding. $5250 for heatshield. It’s a tall 2 story chimney. My other is a fairly normal height 1 story, but those are just the prices on the tall one. Between the 2 chimneys there is $3000 in scaffolding erecting which my wife thinks is extremely excessive

It states apply concrete overlay on existing mortar wash. There is $2500 for tuck pointing. $650 for a cap, $1500 for erecting scaffolding. $5250 for heatshield. It’s a tall 2 story chimney. My other is a fairly normal height 1 story, but those are just the prices on the tall one. Between the 2 chimneys there is $3000 in scaffolding erecting which my wife thinks is extremely excessive
Ok it sounds like he might actually be doing proper masonry repair. And yes the scaffolding fee is crazy

Reactions: 280rem
Ok it sounds like he might actually be doing proper masonry repair. And yes the scaffolding fee is crazy
He is offering a $2800 discount if he does both chimneys at the same time. So maybe that’s like saying you get a discount but then again you don’t get a discount, lol. The entire procedure for both, entails an enormous investment. I’m just trying to do my due diligence and make sure I make a good decision, because now it’s a at a point I could buy an outdoor wood boiler and have it installed for that price, and it would become my primary heat source instead of a lot of money for my supplemental heat, plus some other advantages like no flu fires ever again.