Flue System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
In my manual for the 3610 it says "Flue system must be independently secured and must not rely on stove for support." The way my flue slips into the ceiling, there is no way to secure it. This chimney is not that heavy and the stove weighs 460 pounds. Does anyone see a problem with this? I have the double wall pipe screwed together.

So your system has no ceiling or roof support housings? Where it pokes through the roof did you not screw anything to the house?

The double wall twist locks into the support box. This is not exactly the surest support, but it does hold the weight of the pipe. FWIW, I added a couple screws to mine for peace of mind in an earthquake zone.

I have a ceiling box, which supports the Class A chimney on the roof, but the double wall stainless interior pipe just slips into the support box. I just wondered why the say not to support the chimney with the stove?

Smokey said:
I have a ceiling box, which supports the Class A chimney on the roof, but the double wall stainless interior pipe just slips into the support box. I just wondered why the say not to support the chimney with the stove?

I'm with you. I have never seen a free standing stove that didn't support the pipe.

I'm a little less confident when it's a rear exit stove and the pipe is being supported by the elbow. If nothing else, it makes it harder to keep an uphill slope to the flue.

BeGreen said:
I'm a little less confident when it's a rear exit stove and the pipe is being supported by the elbow. If nothing else, it makes it harder to keep an uphill slope to the flue.

Point dat. I have always had top exits. Some better pipe stands than actual heaters.

Hard to think of a better anchor to attach a piece of pipe to than a 500-pound wood stove. Not like it's going to get shoved around by kids playing grab-ass.

How about a 160 lb Jotul 602 with rear-exit? It gets just as hot as the big boys, maybe hotter. Agree that it's unlikely, but that was our setup when we experienced our second earthquake in this house. The stove walked a few inches. Fortunately it wasn't the big one and all was well secured and no harm done. But it was a sobering reminder.

Smokey I think the concern is a lot about nothing ..I don't know what they are trying to say or what their concern is? I would not loose any sleep over it.

I agree the stove should be able to hold the weight of the pipe, but you should also have something securing the sections of pipe together. I know single wall requires a minimum of three screws in each joint, I thought there was a similar requirement for double wall.

The pipes may rest in part on the stove, but they should also be secured well enough to the ceiling box that if Penn and Teller stop by and make the stove dissappear, :bug: the pipes won't fall down.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.