1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Flue temp probes - who uses them?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lbcynya, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbcynya

lbcynya Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    W Michigan
    I've noticed a couple posts about them, but they often wander to the magnetic version rather quickly... If you have one, speak up about your experiences please. I am a little nervous about drilling into the chimney for obvious reasons, but I'll probably still do it... I have double-wall Duravent and don't have a convienient place to put the magnetic version on my Thelin stove. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mikenr1c

mikenr1c New Member

I am interested in the stove performance and this means knowing surface, stack and even inside temperatures. At this time all I have is a magnetic thermometer but have only owned my stove since August. Ideally I would like to have three thermocouples. I will be interested in what you finally choose.

BTW - my stove is a small Jotul 602 and I am finding to get decent heat from it - it has to be 600+ on the surface.

regards, Mike
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I have a magnetic one for my single wall pipe, but if I had double wall I definitely would have a probe. Thermometers are a must if your want to really know whats going on with efficiency.
  4. pgmr

pgmr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Indiana
    I use a Condar 3-39 thermometer in the stack and a magnetic thermometer on the stove. The stack temp will respond more quickly than the stove temp, so I can tell at a glance (solid doors) when fire needs attention.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.