Flue temp - stove top temp ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good plan. The ranges are somewhat generalized. It's ok to get the flue hot for a brief period of time. I often will take the flue up to 800F (probe temp) with the first burn in the morning. But usually it doesn't get much over 600F.
Why bring the flu temp up high in the morning, is it to establish a strong draft because you are reloading on the morning coals and the flue temp is low? Ive read that a hot burn once a day is good to keep the chimney clean but how would that help to clear out any built up creosote? By the way Begreen thanks for your explanation of the more efficient burn!

This is an interesting thread, I have been using three thermometers and, I thought I was going overboard but, I guess not.
I had the flu temp up to almost 900° . I knew it was getting too hot. But it kept rising after I choked it down and . It took a little while to cool down. That was a little freaky for me.
When starting a brand-new fire I leave the door open for a bit, does anyone else do that?

This is an interesting thread, I have been using three thermometers and, I thought I was going overboard but, I guess not.
I had the flu temp up to almost 900° . I knew it was getting too hot. But it kept rising after I choked it down and . It took a little while to cool down. That was a little freaky for me.
When starting a brand-new fire I leave the door open for a bit, does anyone else do that?
i do, as per mfg recommendation, and because it works for me. But only for a few seconds, and I chain myself to the hearth first now until that first fire is well under control, even after the door is shut tight. I know it can take off really fast - e.g. time it takes to go fetch and coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.