1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Flue temp - stove top temp ?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Billybonfire, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Jclout

Jclout Member

Loc:
    Southbridge, Massachusetts
    Why bring the flu temp up high in the morning, is it to establish a strong draft because you are reloading on the morning coals and the flue temp is low? Ive read that a hot burn once a day is good to keep the chimney clean but how would that help to clear out any built up creosote? By the way Begreen thanks for your explanation of the more efficient burn!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    This is an interesting thread, I have been using three thermometers and, I thought I was going overboard but, I guess not.
    I had the flu temp up to almost 900° . I knew it was getting too hot. But it kept rising after I choked it down and . It took a little while to cool down. That was a little freaky for me.
    When starting a brand-new fire I leave the door open for a bit, does anyone else do that?
  3. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I always leave the door open for a few minutes when lighting a new fire. My stove manual even dictates to do so.

Andrew
  4. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    i do, as per mfg recommendation, and because it works for me. But only for a few seconds, and I chain myself to the hearth first now until that first fire is well under control, even after the door is shut tight. I know it can take off really fast - e.g. time it takes to go fetch and coffee.