flue temp vs stove temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
I have a wood furnace so I can not get a good stove top temp reading. Is there much differants flue temp vs stove temp?

On wood stoves yes, My stove top can be 600 while external pipe temp is around 250. I would think a thermometer on the furnace pipe would still be a good idea to monitor those flue gases to keep creosote down.

Todd said:
On wood stoves yes, My stove top can be 600 while external pipe temp is around 250. I would think a thermometer on the furnace pipe would still be a good idea to monitor those flue gases to keep creosote down.

What type of thermometer are you using on the furnace pipe?

I have a flue thermometer and since my flue is a double wall metalbestos type pipe, it's a probe thermometer made by Condar:

Similar to:
http://www.condar.com/probe_meters_woodstoves.html

except when I bought mine, they offered the cheap one without the coloring and the fancy one linked above which was a bit more in price. I have the cheap one.

Jay

Yes . . . there is typically a fairly substantial difference in temps . . . and oftentimes changing the air control will lead to some dramatically different temps (i.e. opening the draft all the way will typically cause my stove top temp to stay the same or rise a bit while the flue temp rises dramatically . . . closing down the draft can cause the opposite to happen). There is a correlation between the temps in the flue and stove top, but it is not a proportional difference (i.e. I cannot look at my stove top temp and say it will be 2x or 3x as hot or as cool as that temp.)

One of my best purchases was buying a probe temp for my double wall flue pipe . . . I find it complements (or is compliments) my stove top temp -- allowing me to run the stove more effectively and know what's happening and more importantly what I should expect to happen in the near future by the way I load the stove and run the air control. Another good purchase was an IR temp gun from HF . . . it has shown me that my stove top temp gauge is pretty accurate (which is nice) and that there can be a pretty notable difference in temps on the stove top depending on how the fire is burning (i.e. one side of the firebox based on stove top temps was running 50-75 degrees different . . . this was most likely due to the fact that there were a lot more coals on the hotter side and the split burning was positioned higher than the other side due to these coals).

Incidentally, I bought the IR gun since I hope to add a soapstone top and will not be able to use the temp gauge without cutting down the soapstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.