Flue Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What's everyone's target flue temp for a cruise and for a hot burn to clean out the flue?
What stove? How and where are you measuring temps?

BTW a hot burn doesn't clean out the flue. Get the chimney ey hot every time you put wood in the stove then you can shut it back.

Reactions: Jcapo29
I have a PE32 Princess. For me low is around 250-300, medium is 450-500, and high is 650-700. It will go higher than that, but I don’t need the extra heat. I run the temp up to 600-700 every load before turning it down to the desired temp.

My temps are via an Auber AT200 mounted 18” up from the stove top using a thermocouple probe.

What stove? How and where are you measuring temps?

BTW a hot burn doesn't clean out the flue. Get the chimney ey hot every time you put wood in the stove then you can shut it back.
Chinook, 18 inch above collar condor probe in double wall.

Chinook, 18 inch above collar condor probe in double wall.
Ok so the temps were covered by Don tee. His low temps are a bit low for my liking though I would like to see 300 to 350 minimum. The hot burn is more to burn creosote out of your stove. If you're cleaning your chimney that's a chimney fire

I agree the low temp is a bit low. I could go down to 200 flue temp and still keep the cat in the active zone. I think that’s way too low though.

I burn dry wood but still check my chimney every month during the burning season. It’s just paranoia, because it always looks good :)

Edit: and when I say “check” I mean sweep. I have an exterior class A chimney with a tee. It’s super easy to run a brush up it.

Last edited:
Ok so the temps were covered by Don tee. His low temps are a bit low for my liking though I would like to see 300 to 350 minimum. The hot burn is more to burn creosote out of your stove. If you're cleaning your chimney that's a chimney fire
Appreciate it. That's what I'm trying to avoid. Been sweeping every half cord since my possible chimney fire last year. Got it all inspected and was told it was good to go. appreciate your help with that issue.

I agree the low temp is a bit low. I could go down to 200 flue temp and still keep the cat in the active zone. I think that’s way too low though.

I burn dry wood but still check my chimney every month during the burning season. It’s just paranoia, because it always looks good :)

Edit: and when I say “check” I mean sweep. I have an exterior class A chimney with a tee. It’s super easy to run a brush up it.
Next year I might switch to once a month. I might be the top buyer of cat gasket buyers with sweeping it quite often but the cost is worth the peace of mind. Appreciate it.